sadbonsai
Newly Registered

Bonsai seems unhealthy!

Hello, I have been looking all over trying to figure out the type of my bonsai tree and how to properly care for it.

The tree was a gift, bought at a local home supply store in late November, so I'm not sure how old it is.

For the first couple of weeks the tree did not receive much watering, then it was watered once a week for a few weeks. Then I went on a short trip and when I came back I noticed that the needles seemed really dry and easy to break off. After googling a little bit, I bought a water spray and have been misting the tree daily instead.

At first there were surface rocks glued in place and I took them all out because I wanted to see what kind of soil was under them. The soil was moist even though I took them out several days after watering. The pot has no drainage holes.

The entire time the plant either lived on the North side of the house or in a semi-lighted area. For a while after the discovery of brittle branches, the tree was moved to a cooler room - maybe around 65 degrees. For the past few days it has been sitting on a shelf (no direct light) in a warmer room 70-72 degrees (I moved).

It is really cold outside right now, around 20 degrees, so I didn't want to try moving the tree until I got some help on the care of it.

The tree does not have a humidity tray.

Please help!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its a Juniper.

Read all the FAQs

sadbonsai
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply.

I have done research but information is always varied and inconsistent. I'm just trying to figure out the type of care it requires in the conditions I live in before it dies.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sadbonsai,

Sorry to say that you have been given a plant this is entirely inappropriate for indoor culture. Retail stores stock these items without concern past their leaving the premises. The pot has no drainage and watering has been erratic. Low light and dry conditions in your home are also detrimental. In short the prognosis is not good.

If you are able/willing to move it outside this spring it might pull thorough, otherwise... In the short term search the forum for something called 'the chopstick method'

Norm

sadbonsai
Newly Registered

Thank you!

What can I do now besides start watering it with the chopstick method? Should I put it on my west-window window sill? My sills are usually cooler that any other part of the room.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sadbonsai,

If it were mine I would remove it from that pot ASAP. Ultimately the soil will need to be replaced completely but for now slip pot it into anything you can find that is appropriately sized and has adequate drainage. Read the thread about bonsai soils in the library section of the site.

The west side of the room/house is preferable to the north facing one. Don't worry about cool temperatures. Junipers are quite hardy and even one that has not been properly hardened off would be unlikely to be injured by any temperature in your home.

Norm

Return to “Bonsai Identification”