Jihane
Newly Registered

Please help me identify my new bonsai !!

Hello everyone,

I have just received my first bonsai as a gift, and as much as I am fascinated by them, I must admit I know little about how to take care of them.
I have been doing some reading online, but if someone could identify it, it ll help me be more focused and give it the appropriate care.
Unfortunately, the people from the shop it was brought from were not able to tell me to what specie it belongs :? :? :? .. although I was told it is an indoor bonsai
Can anyone help?
Thank you!!!!

Last edited by Jihane on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking it is maybe a ficus, which is a classic indoor bonsai tree.

Ficus bonsai:

Jihane
Newly Registered

:D Thank you for your quick answer rainbowgardener :D :D :D

They do look very similar !

The saleswoman I was put in contcat with to ask about the specie, actually told me that she couldnt remember the specie's name because it was a "long difficult name " :shock: but that it was "not a ficus"...
Given how little she seemed to know, I m much more inclined to believe you,
the leaves look the same to me ...

Thanks again!

SvetSad

The leaves look very shiney, but from the second picture to me it looks like a Fukien Tea (a small bloom is visible in that picture, which makes me think it's FT) not to mention it looks like there are little dots/hairs on the leaves

Jihane
Newly Registered

SvetSad wrote:The leaves look very shiney, but from the second picture to me it looks like a Fukien Tea (a small bloom is visible in that picture, which makes me think it's FT) not to mention it looks like there are little dots/hairs on the leaves
Thanks svetsad :),
I had originally thought of fukien tea when I tried to compare my tree to some online pictures especially because of the dots on the leaves as you mentioned... but the FT all seemed to have more "pointy" leaves (m not sure if that is relevant though as I m quite new to this :oops: )

fyi: the only way I could get a clear enough pic was for me to use the flash, hence the shiny leaves :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jihane,

Although not a species that I am intimately familiar with I too thought it was a Fukien Tea. Compare the characteristics of your leaves to the leaves on this example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fukie ... flower.jpg
I think I can discern the typical notched leaves on your plant.

Here is a care sheet for this species.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html

Norm

dbd
Newly Registered

I am no expert in this but I used to have a fukien tea and your plant looks pretty much like the one I had especially after looking at the bark/wood on the tree as well as the leaves. The only thing that is different in my opinion is the end shape of the leaves, my fukien tea had pointier end, with one smaller edge on either side of that one central point.

imafan26
Mod

Hi
Fukien tea has shiny leaves but the surface of the leaf is rough like sandpaper as it is covered with tiny hairs.

Do the leaves feel rough?

Fukien tea is a common bonsai plant so it may very well be that. I'll have to go out to my yard and look at it more closely. To me Fukien tea is a weed that is nearly impossible to kill.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”