bonsaigrow
Newly Registered

ID this Bonsai, please!

Hello everyone,

I can say that Helpful Gardener is a very nice community where I can find a lot of useful information.

Now, one of my friends rescued a bonsai and we don't know what species it is. If anyone can provide us with the full identification like family and also can give some quick tips on how to take care of the little tree, I would be more than grateful.

Thank you so much!

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7115/7135130663_92392a8e0e_b.jpg[/img]
[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8008/7135130657_5ed2934134_b.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's very difficult to tell with it in that condition, but POSSIBLY a ficus.

Quite possibly also dead. Scratch the bark in a few places, see if it is green under it. If not, break a few twigs and see if they are flexible and green inside. If not there is nothing you can do for it.

bonsaigrow
Newly Registered

Hello rainbowgardener,

I know that the bonsai is in a very bad condition, but at least I'm trying to save him. I just wanted to know what kind of tree is, just to know.

Thank you so much for the tips!

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Like rainbowgardener said, it is hard to ID it...It will be easier to identify it as soon as it comes back to life and puts out more growth (if you can save it, which I hope you can do) :) Sorry for the lack of information, there may be another user who can ID it.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Branch growth looks more like Elm or Sageretia to me. Ficus, by the time they've put out quite a few nodes, should have at least some thickening of the branches. But, I'm with rainbowgardener, id'ing it is not as important as identifying whether or not it is still alive. It does not look at all like it is. And trying to save an already dead tree... well...

Scratch the trunk. If it's not green, go lower until you see green. No green, no life. If you do see green at some point, then we can work from there.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

dead tree, sorry.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”