hegx442

New new bonsai :)

Hi Everyone 8)

I am new to the forum and have joined primarily for tips and advice about looking after my new bonsai tree.
The tree was given to me as a gift, purchased from [url]https://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk[/url], through 'Groupon'

I have no idea what species the tree is, and after contacting Gardening Express, they apparently don't know either!
They told me to send them a photo and they would try to identify it, but I thought I'd be better off on here! I've read through several of the threads and it seems like you guys know much more than they do! If they knew what species it was, surely they would have sent some information with it?!

Frankly, I don't have much faith in what I've been given for numerous reasons (which I'll have to discuss in a separate thread I think ...) but basically, I'm not sure the tree I have has been especially well cared for and I'm here for advice on how to give the little thing the tender care it needs :flower:

So here are the photos -

[url]https://photobucket.com/hegx442bonsai[/url]

According to Gardening Express, the tree is 8 years old and from China.
The leaves are thin, dry and dull (not thick, shiney and waxy like privet leaves) About 1cm - 1.5cm long
The trunk is solid, not especially rough or smooth and is dark dull brown.
The branches are thin and wiry but strong. I cannot pinch leaves off with my fingernails as they are too strong.

I know the tree is in desperate need of pruning, but I did not want to do anything to it before identifying it!

Hope you can help!! hegx

** I would like to say sorry regarding my opinions of Gardening Express. I'm sure they are a good company who know what they are doing, I am just quite a pessimistic person and am not encouraged by my own personal experience. Please do not let my opinions affect your own :wink:

lucenda
Cool Member

Welcome to this forum! I love your tree; I think it is an Escambron; but I'm not 100% sure, google Escambron and see if I'm correct. The tree flowers several times per year; little white flowers. The flowers will turn into berries. Good luck and congrats with your tree!

hegx442

Hi Lucenda.

Thanks for the compliment and the advice.
I've had a look at Escambron images. The leaves look identical but the trunks are much paler an deeply fissured, but maybe this is down to age or controlled design? Also this species is native to Puerto Rico.

I have looked at the tiny pictures in my Bonsai book and trawled the internet and I am thinking maybe it could be Sageretia now. Does this sound like a possibility? These are from China, as I've been told my tree is, and the the description sounds fitting ...?

hegx

lucenda
Cool Member

Sageretia theezans, Sweet Plum, has serrated leaves. I have several Escambron's; and yes; some of the trunks are more pale then others.

Anyway; give it a lot of light, Escambron's do not like cold; keep it always above 50 degrees. Next to that; they don't like to be relocated. You can expect some falling leaves. good news: the tree will bounce back soon.

I will look into this further; now I want to know for sure if it's an Escambron!

lucenda
Cool Member

I can't see your pics anymore; are the leaves of your tree serrated?

hegx442

Hi again, yes the leaves have very finely serated edges.
Hmm, I wonder why the pics have disappeared! I'm using my phone internet atm but will check that out ...

lucenda
Cool Member

Then it is most likely a Sageretia. I could not see the serrated leaves very well. Good luck with your tree!

hegx442

Thank you!! I'm so excited about looking after it, I feel like I've adopted a child, haha!

Yeh the serated edges are so so tiny, I couldnt take a good enough photo. Plus was trying to do it in poor lighting.

Thanks for your help x

Return to “Bonsai Identification”