bgarcia
Newly Registered

what is the difference between a mallsai and a bonsai tree?

i bought some bonsai tree at a local walmart and a sago palm bonsai and i was doing my research and it read that they are mallsai not bonsai am confused? help please and it said that they are for indoor but require high light..which soil should i use if i want to repot it thank you

Gnome
Mod

bgarcia,

Mallsai is a somewhat tongue in cheek, somewhat derogatory, term used to describe mass produced bonsai that are sold in malls or other mass retail type locations. Often such trees are little more than young plants potted in inexpensive bonsai pots. Many times they are then rushed off to sale without having been allowed to become established, this is why they glue the rocks on, to stabilize the planting for shipping.

Some plants can grow reasonably well indoors provided the proper conditions are met. Many plants however simply will not survive long inside, unfortunately erroneous information abounds with the retailer being either unknowing or uncaring.

Without more information it would be unwise for us to advice re-potting now, but here is some information about soils so that you can begin to learn what the properties of a decent bonsai soil should be.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Norm

bgarcia
Newly Registered

Yes I leave my mallsai outside in the patio it rained today so its humid just what they need I have them inside for a bit and the rest of the day they are outside getting sun. & water them when they need it I put my finger in the soil and if its moist I don't add water till its a bit dry not completely Thanks though :)

Return to “Bonsai Identification”