Icecoldcube
Newly Registered

Fairly new bonsai, may already have killed it

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I was bought a new bonsai as a gift after killing the last one I owned in an unfortunate late night drunken incident. However, the new one does not seem to be doing too well either.

When I got it, around 3 months ago, it had plenty of leave on the branches. Now it has none. It also seems very, very dry and brittle. I'm tempted to give up on it altogether, but it has sprouted these strange green tenticles, which do have leaves. So I guess it's not dead totally.

I have no idea which species it is, how I should care for it, or if it's beyond help and should be chucked in my green garden waste bin.

I've attached a couple of photos here. I've had a go at identifying it myself, but with its lack of leaves this has proved impossible.

If anyone can offer any tips or advice, it would be much appreciated.

[img]https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/Icecoldcube/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5649.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee479/Icecoldcube/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0241.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I'm sorry, but that tree didn't get into that state overnight. I've no idea what it is as the trunk is indescernible and there are no real leaves to go by. If I had to guess, I'd say Sweet Plum, Sageretia theezans. How to save it? Phew. I'm guessing that, in its current state, and you being the keeper who got it to that state, it would take a far more skilled hand, even with advice. So, my best advice, either find someone to give it to, or write it off as irredeemable. If that's the current place you keep your bonsai, the only safe bonsai to recommend is a silk one.

froggy

The growth looks really leggy, so it definitely isn't getting enough light. The white gunk around the soil looks weird, it's either mold, or hard water stains - either way, make sure you look up how to properly water a bonsai.
If you can get it outside, in a bright but shaded spot that'd help.
For watering look up the skewer method.
If you don't manage to save this one, anything you learn will benefit your next victim ;)

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I was guessing the same as Kdodds, Chinese bird plum judging from the bark. Maybe you can take a zoomed in shot of the leaves for a positive ID. My experience with it had been pretty good indoors and outdoors. I keep it oudoors with shade cloth and indoors by a south facing window in the winter. This type of tree don't re-branch off the main trunk easily so I can see it go through a long time to return its glory. Any dead branches won't re-sprout new buds so the only way to get stems at a locations you desire is by thread grafting using long stems from existing branches.

TomM
Greener Thumb

I think it is toast!
Very, very dry and brittle toast.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

With not a smear of butter in sight. :D

TomM
Greener Thumb

DESIGNER kitchen bonsai.

OK, enough.

We really have tried to be helpful with thoughtful tips and advice. Sometimes the queries come in too late to save a tree. Sometimes questions and photos are a bit curious and even humorous. But we understand that bonsai seems so daunting, mystical, confusing, complicated and down right contradictory.

We want for it to appeal to a wide audience and be fun. It isn't always that way, especially for newer hobbyists. But now and then we need to laugh at ourselves too. I know I have to.

:lol:

Return to “Bonsai Identification”