gilouk
Newly Registered

Young Plant - HELP!

Hi everyone

Sorry to bother all the experts but I bought some ebay seeds about a year ago entitled "random bonsai seeds" 99p I think they were! I have two small plants that grew from the 6 seeds I planted!

Has anyone possibly got any idea what they are and any immediate tips as to what I should do with them? There currently in "Bonsai" compost in a shallow container, inside the house.

Thanks for any help at all very much appreciated and I apologise if this is repeating a previous thread I tried to look for information on young trees but didnt know where to start!

Thank you and I can post more images if needed!

[img]https://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff413/Giles_Dixon/P1000020.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff413/Giles_Dixon/P1000013.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff413/Giles_Dixon/P1000012.jpg[/img]

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Looks like a type of juniper. Not sure.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

They are some kind of conifer (probably juniper, as JustinBoi stated), and should be placed outside as soon as possible, as they will not survive long without a dormancy period.

froggy

If you want to grow them into bonsais, the key is to grow them out before you put them into the bonsai pot.
a (too) small container will slow down growth and make it harder to keep the trees alive.
Give them some dormancy, and in spring either plant them outside, or into larger pots and let them grow until the trunk is the size you want it to be.
There are lots of threads on how to start bonsai training, so you should be ok to find the info you need...

manofthetrees

howdy,

I wouldn't put them outside as of yet, seeing they are seedlings they will not need a domancy this year. you will need to however put them outside in spring and make plans to overwinter them if they are not in the ground
best of luck

gilouk
Newly Registered

Hi guys, thanks for your help and advice ill get them into a larger pot and grow them out. Ive been looking through the other posts and putting a beginners guide together for myself!

Thanks

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I hope all of this helped you enough to turn these baby Junipers into nice plants. I really wanted to help more than saying that it is a Juniper but I had a lot of learning for myself of the types of Bonsai I have. I am also a fellow Juniper grower but I only buy the fully grown ones.

If you have any questions, I'm here to help.

Charles M

That might be a juniper, but it might also be a cryptomeria (Japanese Cedar). Grow it nice and big, and watch and see. You will need to wait until it forms bark to tell for sure.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”