heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

having trouble identifying bonsai

hey everyone I'm ivan and I have just jumped into this lovely world of bonsai, but I seem to be running into trouble. You see I don't know what species my tree is ^-^;
I had went to this oriental themed wedding of a friend of mine and he and his bride gave the guests a little gift. Yup you guessed it. a bonsai tree. now I've been trying to take care of it but I wanted to do research to make sure I take care of it well.but I still can't figure out what it is. this is the information I've gathered about it so far:

the friend of mine said to water it twice a day.
He also said that in september it will produce white flowers and small tomatoes or fruit of somekind.

their leaves have a kind of 3-point crown shape to it and are darker green in color, while the tree itself may be a light brown color.

I will put up pictures when my phone camera is charged but any help you guys could give me would be great.

Thanks in advance guys!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

heavenbound planter,

Hello, welcome to the forum and to bonsai. Unfortunately without pictures an ID is going to be a bit of a long shot, from your description I do have a guess though. Have a look at the picture below and see if it resembles your plant.

https://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/70/Fukien_Tea_Tree_flower.jpg

The description of the leaf shape you gave is what leads me to suspect this plant.
He also said that in september it will produce white flowers and small tomatoes or fruit of somekind.

their leaves have a kind of 3-point crown shape to it and are darker green in color,

the friend of mine said to water it twice a day.
If my ID is correct, this is almost certainly too often. Most new growers tend to water too much rather than too little. Add to that the fact that Fukien Tea really don't like to be kept soggy and you have the beginnings of trouble.

Have a look at this thread for [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]tips on watering.[/url] The chopstick method really works to help a beginner get the feel for when watering is required. I prefer to leave the skewer in place, removing it only to check and then replacing it.

Most grower of this species, I am not one, suggest allowing the soil to go nearly dry before watering again. But this is of course contingent upon my ID, some plants prefer to never dry out. Pictures would really help us to make a positive ID and to evaluate the plant a little.

Norm

heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

well that most looks like my tree alright. but here is the pictures for verification. sorry for the blurriness it's my phone cam, I don't' really have a digital camera.

[img]https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/whitedude_2006/untitled.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/whitedude_2006/untitled1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/whitedude_2006/untitled2.jpg[/img]

Well I usually go to class from early morning and work til about 9' at night so I tend to water it in the morning and then again at night time. do you think that is ample time for it to dry?

it seems like my friend had set me up pretty good as far as the pot is concerned the hole at the bottom even has a little screen to keep in the soil but still let the water drain.

Also what are the kind of tools I need for taking care of bonsai? is it just a chopstick and pruner or is there more?
Last edited by heavenbound planter on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Nice tree.

Watch the wiring and make sure it's not biting into the bark. As the tree grows, you will eventually need a good wire cutter to remove those wires and re-wire it as required. A good [url=https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/DSC01270.jpg]bonsai tool set[/url] will have wire cutters, limb cutters, concave knot cutters, pruning scissors, pliers and a chop stick. (You will discover the chop stick has many uses.) I've outgrown 2 tool boxes already as I've accumulated tools, wire, brushes and many other items.

Have you looked around to see if there is a local bonsai club in your area? Club members are always willing to look at your tree and give advice.

heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

Marsman wrote:Nice tree.

Watch the wiring and make sure it's not biting into the bark. As the tree grows, you will eventually need a good wire cutter to remove those wires and re-wire it as required. A good [url=https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/DSC01270.jpg]bonsai tool set[/url] will have wire cutters, limb cutters, concave knot cutters, pruning scissors, pliers and a chop stick. (You will discover the chop stick has many uses.) I've outgrown 2 tool boxes already as I've accumulated tools, wire, brushes and many other items.

Have you looked around to see if there is a local bonsai club in your area? Club members are always willing to look at your tree and give advice.
Yes there is a local bonsai class as I found out so I guess I'll have to go see them because I don't know how to go about doing all that. I'll check into some sites around see if I can find some good deals. Mind me posting them so you guys can help me get a good deal? is there any brands recommend getting specifically?

Also since it's a fukien tea tree I just wanted to know Are the leaves or flowers or fruit brewable to make tea? just wanting to know. ^-^ thanks in advance ^-^

Also by wires do you mean the gold around the trunk or are you talking wires that might be under the soil? I haven't checked if there are any but beside the gold string around the trunk that holds a little tag with a poem from the bride and groom There aren't anywires I think. O-o??

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

heavenbound planter,

Although, if you stay with bonsai, you will eventually want to purchase some specialized tools I don't think there is an overwhelming need to buy an expensive kit just yet. In the short term your main concern will be to simply allow some time for you to learn about the basic care of the tree and for it to become accustomed to the location you choose.

Pruning of newer growth, when it becomes necessary, can be performed with a pair of shears/scissors. Your first big hurdle, tool wise, will be removing any wire before it begins to scar the trunk.

As I mentioned I don't grow this species but in general I find that everything will do better outside when the weather will allow. If your circumstances will permit it you should consider that option.
Well I usually go to class from early morning and work til about 9' at night so I tend to water it in the morning and then again at night time. do you think that is ample time for it to dry?
Nobody can answer that question but you. That's why it is important for you to observe the soil (wooden skewer) daily and to learn when to water. If I were to make a guess, and it is just that, twice daily may be too often. Check it at night and unless it is exceptionally dry, skip it.

Definitely look into joining a club. In some parts of the country are clubs are uncommon but I suspect that in Florida you won't have much trouble finding one.

Norm

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I did not read you previous post thoroughly enough. Often, for bonsai, wires are used to move branches and shoots to a more aesthetically pleasing arrangement. That is what Marsman was referring to. From your pictures I was not able to determine if wiring is present or not. If the branches have not been wired then that is one less thing you need to be concerned with in the short term.

heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

I guess I'm going to have some shears later then. but at least I kind of got an idea of what I got to do right now. by the way new leaves are growing now and the branches are extending a teeny bit ^-^! gardening level up wooh! anyways

Also I heard somewhere that a toothpick would be an ok substitute for a skewer (at least for now given the small size of the plant). would a toothpick or straw be ok substitutes for that for now until I buy one. I mean I'm only using it right now for determining when to water so what do you think?

Oh and as far as clubs are concerned I'll look into it. I know there is a class though, but the beginners class it's til the 3rd week of next month :? Guess it's survival time til then if I can't find a club to find help.

well there is a little bit of wiring near the roots but that's it. don't know if my friend did that to keep the plant from falling out or what but It's there so I thought I'd update you guys.

And also since it's a fukien tea tree I just wanted to know Are the fruit brewable to make tea? I know this is a stupid question just want to know. ^-^ maybe I can brew my own tea from it. thanks in advance ^-^

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

heavenbound planter,
Also I heard somewhere that a toothpick would be an ok substitute for a skewer (at least for now given the small size of the plant). would a toothpick or straw be ok substitutes for that for now until I buy one. I mean I'm only using it right now for determining when to water so what do you think?
That would be OK. Chopsticks, skewers or pointed wooden dowels can be used for lots of things in bonsai. For now all you are doing is checking for moisture in the wood. If the toothpick is damp so are the roots.
well there is a little bit of wiring near the roots but that's it. don't know if my friend did that to keep the plant from falling out or what but It's there so I thought I'd update you guys.
This is a common practice and should not be cause for concern any time soon. Don't forget about it when re-potting, the wires will likely need to be cut.
I just wanted to know Are the fruit brewable to make tea?
I'm afraid that I cannot comment on that.

Norm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have read that tea can be made from the berries that it produces. Here's a thread that says those berries are edible:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5688

Have no personal experience! :)

Return to “Bonsai Identification”