JerseyBonsai

Help identify please: maybe ficus? (Chinese Elm)

I believe this is a Ficus, but the leaves threw me off :? Can anyone help verify?

[img]https://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac86/aestrell/Bonsai%201%2010/Frontficus.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac86/aestrell/Bonsai%201%2010/ficusleaves.jpg[/img]

-Drew

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Drew,

This is almost certainly a Chinese Elm, an excellent choice for a new enthusiast. I does look like it would benefit from a brighter location. When spring rolls around I would prefer to see it outside. I have several of these, one very much like yours, and keep them as temperate trees, allowing them to go dormant over the winter. They are technically considered subtropical but have a very wide distribution in nature. If you search the forum you will find quite a few threads on various aspects of their culture.

Norm

JerseyBonsai

THANKS AGAIN Norm!
the woman at the garden center said it was a ficus, I had my doubts. Thats why I decided to post it. I'll most certainly reconsider the growing requirements

-Drew

JerseyBonsai

Alright I just finished reading up on Chinese elm. I plan on placing him on my porch where he'll get plenty of more sunlight and cooler temp with better humidity levels. I think he's been raised indoors, so I'm going to hold off on placing him outside right away for alittle while, I don't want to shock. I'm thinking mid-late Feb as well as repotting him at this time. What kind of soils do elms thrive in?

Victrinia Ridgeway

Garden center people have no business selling bonsai... drives me batty how they set people up to fail... :x

Not a bad looking tree... if the soil is draining well I would hold off on repotting it unless you have ideal conditions to keep it in afterwards... Unless there is no frost danger in mid-February... it's just as good to wait until you are sure no freezes will happen, especially if the tree has been indoors most of the winter... you'll just tick it off. :wink:

Worst thing that will happen with it staying indoors for the balance of your cold season, is that it'll kick off it's leaves in the spring since they will be too tender to handle the UV rays of the sun... when it regrows them they will be waxy which is it's natural defense from sunburn.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”