JiraFA
Newly Registered

I don't even think anyone can identify my bondsai!!

My brother gave me a bonsai kit for christmas. I planted it right there and then!!
Now its really growing, which I thought it wouldnt.. But its just a little sprout.. and I don't really have a green thumb but I want to take care of it!!!
I have no idea what kind of bonsai it is.. I thought there was only one type!!
I have a picture but who knows if it'll help ..
I currently have it in my window sill and have plastic wrap over the top like the directions said.. but that all they said!!
What do I do when it gets taller?? what and how much fertilizer do I use!!
Whats next??
Thank you!! :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JiraFA,
I don't even think anyone can identify my bondsai!!...I have a picture but who knows if it'll help ..
Do you mean that you have a picture from the package or one of a tiny seedling that you have taken? If it is one of the seedling then you may very well be correct as it may be too young.
I have no idea what kind of bonsai it is.. I thought there was only one type!!
Many species of trees and shrubs can be used to create bonsai. Bonsai is not a specific plant but a series of techniques that, over time, encourage and refine the plant. Many of the best bonsai are collected from the wild or even the urban landscape.
Now its really growing, which I thought it wouldnt.. But its just a little sprout.. and I don't really have a green thumb but I want to take care of it!!!
For now don't do anything to the seedling except water it as needed and give it the appropriate lighting. A diluted feeding will be in order soon but other than those basics there is nothing to do right now.

Unfortunately, bonsai kits are much more likely to disappoint a novice as produce anything that resembles a mature bonsai. Of course seedlings can be, and are, used to create bonsai so it is not impossible but rather difficult to ensure that any given seedling will survive long enough. When I start seeds I always start many more than I want to end up with. Many fail for various reasons and of the survivors only a few exhibit characteristics of any real merit.

I don't mean to discourage you but it is better to know what you are up against from the start. Should you decide that you really want to pursue bonsai we can offer more information.

Norm

Return to “Bonsai Identification”