surfn4life
Newly Registered

Please help me identify this bonsai

I was given a great little bonzai tree for my b-day n need to find out what kind it is. I am very excited to begin into the world of bonsai, and I want this tree to last forever. I need to know if it has specific traits that this tree has that I need to be aware of. Its definitely an evergreen I know that, but can't figure out if it is a form of a juniper or not. I live in San Diego so if too much heat is bad please let me know

https://s564.photobucket.com/albums/ss81/surfn4life/?action=view&current=IMG00032.jpg

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It doesn't look like a Juniper to me, but maybe a Hinoki or Sawara Cypress (both Chaemaecyparis spp.). Some, myself included, have been able to keep them indoors for extended periods, but it's generally not recommended, and especially not if it's your first tree. That is IF it's a false cypress, of which I'm not convinced. To me, it looks most like some kind of Arborvitae.

surfn4life
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply! I looked at the leaf structure of the cypress n it is similar yet different to my tree. I also looked at the leaf structure of the juniper and it is identical to my tree. let me know what you think.

https://s564.photobucket.com/albums/ss81/surfn4life/?action=view&current=IMG00036.jpg

djlen
Green Thumb

I'm on board with the Chaemaecyparis theory but it's definitely not Hinoki.
I've kept Hinoki and it's not that.
That tree has good possibilities though.
Good luck with it!!! :)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I still don't think it's a juniper. Perhaps someone more experienced with different juniper species can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Have a looke at images of Cypresses and "dwarf" and "false" Cypresses. I'm pretty sure you've got one of them. ;) Where did you purchase the tree from? If it's mass produced, "Leland" Cypress or "Italian" Cypress are other good possibilities. The better news, if you're keeping it indoors, is that these trees tend to do better than Junipers kept indoors, but that's not saying much, and it takes an experienced hand, and some creative work, to get most specimens of the few species that do sometimes do well indoors to subsist for extended periods of time.

Rosaelyn

I think it looks like a scale foliage juniper. Perhaps a Juniperus Sargentii:

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I agree Rosa. The awl leaves in the older growth rule out Chamaecyparis. I suspect this is 'Shimpaku', and it should be hardy Zone 3 to Zone 9, so overwintering should be as easy as leaving it out in SoCal.

HG

Return to “Bonsai Identification”