Dionysus9

Help with Identifying this Bonsai (Serissa)

Hello everyone,

I just purchased this Bonsai, and I forgot to ask what species it was!
Any help would be appreciated...

[url]https://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47/EJBacker/DSC00402.jpg?t=1253469943[/url]

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum! To me it looks like a Sesseria. Best to remove what looks like glued on rocks.

Dionysus9

Thanks! Glad to be here :)

I was also told this could be a boxwood. Possible?

EDIT: I don't believe they're glued on, just placed on the surface of the soil. Also, I googled Sesseria and nothing. Could you give me some additional info about it?

I was thinking is may be a Serissa. Are they difficult to care for indoors? I'm new to this.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Oops, looks like I spelled that wrong. You have it right. As for the rocks, they should be removed anyway.

Dionysus9

Thanks, I appreciate it.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The white trunk is pretty distinctively Serissa. Unfortunately, they're one of those trees that either do well or don't. And the thing is, they may do well for some time and then fail for no apparent reason. It's happened to bonsai enthusiasts over and over again, so much so that this species has a very poor reputation.

Dionysus9

Yes, but I'm still willing to slave over this tree to allow it to thrive. Thanks for the help with identification!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

You're quite welcome. One other tip for you, in order to provide the best survival chances for this tree, you will need to place it somewhere well lit and cool (but not cold) during the winter. You may also want to consider changing the soil to something better draining.

Dionysus9

What do you mean by cool? And should I change the soil now? It doesn't seem like the best time to stress it out to me. Something like 50/50 organic/inorganic? Right now it seems to be all organic peat.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

By cool I mean below 50 degrees. The soil could be changed now into a 50/50 mix, as the longer it sits in the peat soil, the more likely it may develop root rot.

Dionysus9

This tree doesn't go dormant though right? And below 50 is uncommon for where I am until late November... But I'll keep that in mind. Alli need to do is find somewhere to buy soil.. Home depot maybe? There's no nurseries around here.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”