a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Tree ID

I was walking through Palmetto State park when I noticed this. It's a tree stump, that is regrowing. Either way I was hoping someone could ID it, and let me know it's suitable for bonsai. I know it might be hard, and if too hard I understand. Right now I have a clipping in some dirt, and hopefully will be able to get some sand tommorrow and root it that way(or atleast try, lol).

[img]https://i26.tinypic.com/o8z9sx.jpg[/img]
(You can see edge of trunk on left side)

[img]https://i25.tinypic.com/28sn8no.jpg[/img]
(Not so good close up of it growing)

[img]https://i30.tinypic.com/28we2ck.jpg[/img]
(A clipping in my hand)

Striferitus
Cool Member

looking at my book o.o

it could be either
1-hornbeam
2-white beech

look at some of the trees around the area and look for leaves that mach that of the little clipping. sorry I couldnt be of much more help

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

a0c8c,

To me this looks a lot like a Chinese Elm. I'm not sure if they are growing wild in that area or perhaps it is another Elm species that is stunted due to trying to regrow.

Not to be a wet blanket but are you permitted to remove material from this park? A little cutting is one thing, and I won't tell :wink:, but if you are considering collecting this you really need to get the appropriate permit/permission.

Norm

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I asked about it before clipping it, and since it's growing in the path where they cut the tree down, they didn't mind. They actually said I could cut all of it off, but I'd rather let it live.

Doesn't look like hornbeam, possibly white beech or an elm. Kinda looks like Slippery Elm(Ulmus rubra) or American Elm(Ulmus americana) leaves, but I couldn't be sure.

Do ya'll think it'll be easy to root and is rooting hormone important? If so I'll get some tommorrow, haven't had the time yet.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

a0c8c,
I asked about it before clipping it,
OK cool, it's important for us to behave responsibly if we wish to have the possibility of collecting in the future.
Do ya'll think it'll be easy to root and is rooting hormone important?
Hard to say without a positive ID. Some species root better from softwood cuttings. A trick I use is to find a glass or plastic container to enclose the potted cutting while/if it roots.

Rooting hormone is an aid to rooting and generally increases strike rate but good cultural practices are essential regardless. I always try cuttings in a group knowing that not all will strike.

The season is getting pretty late to take cuttings for this year but I suppose it won't hurt to try.

Norm

Striferitus
Cool Member

of topic but gnome I posted my jewlery stuffs

Return to “Bonsai Identification”