PaulWalsh
Newly Registered

Please help to identify bonsai (Portulacaria)

I found this plant in a parking lot, I don't have a clue how to care for it any
assistance would be great

[/img][/code]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Paul,

Unfortunately we cannot see your picture. Please take a look at the following link and try again.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

PaulWalsh
Newly Registered

https://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/Napmaster_2009/

This is really new to me ...

I don't know if this is beyond help, found in a parking lot
most of the leaves have fallen off

Any help out there

Paul

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Paul,

I believe this is an example of Portulacaria afra, sometimes called Baby Jade or Elephant Bush, a succulent related to the more familiar Jade Plant. It is a pretty decent looking specimen and is worth the effort to revive it.

The most important thing is to realize that this plant stores water in its fleshy stems and leaves. Being unaware of this many growers tend to water it too frequently. So, perhaps contrary to your instinct, don't water it at all until the soil dries out completely.

This is a tender plant and cannot be kept outside during the winter but I leave mine outside all summer only bringing them in when temperatures fall into the 40's at night, do not allow them to freeze.

Keep it in a bright location and manage the water appropriately and you stand a good chance of reviving it and having a nice bonsai.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

That's definitely a find and then some if you can save it. The size is amazing and the shape is pretty good. A healthy tree like that could easily be a few hundred dollars, even for a non-show specimen. Definitely worth trying to save. Good luck with it. Under water, rather than over water, if you're going to err. Don't fertilize until you start to see new growth. It looks to me like someone may have tried to repot it and took off too much root structure as trees of that species and at that size are usually fairly hardy. All the more reason to watch how much/often you're watering.

Rosaelyn

Wow, that is definitely a find if it survives. It has sprouts, from the looks of the pic, so it seems likely.

Ohhhh... This post is about a month old. Any updates on the baby jade? :)

djlen
Green Thumb

Wow!!!!
That tree is gorgeous and the trunk is so impressive. That tree has been in the making for years. You should feel lucky to have stumbled onto it.
Probably won't get a response due to the length of time the post has been up but I'd like to hear how/where it was found.
And an update on it's condition.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”