Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

Unknown seedlings (Pinus)

Hi, I'm pretty new and a few days ago, my neighbour gave me some seedlings he had given up on, because he had heard I was interested in Bonsai. He told me he'd grown them from seeds in a Bonsai starter kit about 4 months ago, and that he wasn't sure what they were (apparently it was poorly labeled "Bonsai Seeds") If anyone could tell me what they were it would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't know how to look after an "unknown" tree!

Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

Oh yeah it might be helpful to give pictures as well!

[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/AdorableMouse/CIMG2291.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/AdorableMouse/CIMG2290.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bonsai Fanatic,

These look to me to be Pines of some sort. If they came labeled as 'bonsai seeds' they may be Japanese Black Pine but this is just a guess.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Given up? After 4 months? LOL. Those little seedlings are going to look pretty much just like that for the first year or so, not much to be done with them, except maybe pot individually next spring. Yes, they look like they're probably Pinus spp. You won't have much to work with in terms of bonsai material for the first few years, just maybe a bit of pruning to get the growth shape, but that's it. Maybe 5 years in or so, you'll be able to start wiring and shaping in earnest.

JTred
Green Thumb

I have a seedling that looks exactly like these. It was considered a weed at a car dealer I do landscaping at so I snatched it up and put it in my lunchbox. That was in the beginning of summer and it hasn't grown an inch. Keep them watered and just wait. In the meantime, see if you can get your hands on some more mature material, so that by the time these are big enough to do anything, you will already have some experience.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”