carpe_
Newly Registered

Help identifying my tree

Hello everybody,

I was recently given a Bonsai as a present, it's quite well developed but the garden centre it was bought from didn't know the specific species. I've been trying to research it all very quickly as I think it might need some attention now, but without knowing the species it's a little risky. I think it's a Ficus of some sort. Any help would be much appreciated.

https://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/carpe_/

Thanks,

snowblind
Cool Member

looks like a fig to me but I'm probly wrong the other guys here will be able to give you a better idear

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

carpe_,

I'm not convinced it is a Ficus. In the second picture it looks like the leaves are arranged in opposite pairs but I can't tell for sure. If that is correct it precludes Ficus as their leaves are arranged alternately. Also you can prune a small shoot, or even single leaf, and look for the milky sap that Ficus produce.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Could also be an Azeala or Rodedendron.

carpe_
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help so far guys, this is a really active and knowledgeable community. Someone else had said it could be a Fig and today I found this picture of foliage from a "ficus - weeping fig", hmmm, the thot plickens.

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/carpe_/Resource_Ficus.jpg

Do you guys think this might be the one? The foliage is very similar, including the minimal drip tips on the leaves.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

carpe_,
Someone else had said it could be a Fig and today I found this picture of foliage from a "ficus - weeping fig", hmmm, the thot plickens...Do you guys think this might be the one? The foliage is very similar, including the minimal drip tips on the leaves.
Did you examine the growth pattern as I suggested above? The other test I mentioned will help as well.

Norm

carpe_
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:In the second picture it looks like the leaves are arranged in opposite pairs but I can't tell for sure. If that is correct it precludes Ficus as their leaves are arranged alternately. Also you can prune a small shoot, or even single leaf, and look for the milky sap that Ficus produce.
I tried pruning a small twig today and there was a little bit of milkiness where I cut it, but not really anything inside. Regarding the leaves, they are growing in staggered opposite pairs.
\| |
| |/
|.|
| |
\| |
kind of like this.

If that's at all clear, is the leaf pattern what you were talking about Gnome?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

carpe_,

The Ficus species I am familiar with has a definite opposite, staggered pattern, not pairs. Perhaps if the internodes are close enough they may appear as you describe. The sap, or latex, also seems to indicate that it may be a Ficus. Sorry I can't be more definitive. Maybe someone else can offer some ideas.

Norm

IndorBonsai

This is strange, The leafs look allot like a ficus but the way the leafs grow on the stem don't look like any ficus I have ever seen. There are so many different species of ficus out there, this could just be a rare one used in bonsai.

But if it bleeds white sap it is probably in the ficus family. I think if you care for your tree like a ficus you should be fine.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I just never seen a Bonsai like yours before.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Judging from your diagram, I would say this is a ficus. Even though the leaf's growth pattern doesn't look like that of a ficus, if the internodes are very short it may create the illusion that they are opisite.

carpe_
Newly Registered

Thanks for all your help on this guys. I'm going to have to assume it's a ficus microcarpa of some sort and cross my fingers. cheers.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”