Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

Identification needed (Sageretia)

Hi there.

I have recently acquired a bonsai tree from a local shop, having been interested in bonsai for a long time. I have done some reading and all the care and advice on the web is very specific to one sort of tree.
I was thinking if anyone knows what sort of tree this is and would be kind enough to tell me, I would be able to care for it properly.

Thanks!

[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/AdorableMouse/CIMG2227.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/AdorableMouse/CIMG2230.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/AdorableMouse/CIMG2229.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If the leaves have sawtooth edges, my guess is Sageretia.

Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

Yes, they do have little sawtooth edges. I also searched google images and it does seem to be very like a Sageretia. :D Thanks!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Also a Chinese Elm(?) I could never tell the difference. General care is the same.

Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

I have read a few sites concerning Sageritia, and I am still not quite sure what precise conditions it needs. At the minute it is sitting on my windowsill, which is 70 degrees Fahrenheit . It gets sunlight from about 5am to about 12 o'clock, from then on it gets shade. Is this enough? I water it roughly once or twice a day, until the soil looks damp.

IndorBonsai

I am not sure what kind of tree you have.
I am pretty sure you are giving your tree to much water If you are watering 1 or 2 times a day. Let the soil dry out some between waterings. If the soil is damp then your tree does NOT need water, wait another day and check the soil again. When the top 1/4 inch or so of the soil feels dry then it is time to thoroughly water your tree.

When watering, water from the top over a sink until water comes out the drain holes in the bottom of the pot, let it drain for a little while then do it again. This helps make sure you have watered your tree thoroughly.

For lighting, I think where you have it placed should be enough, don't forget to turn your tree every few days or so. This makes sure both sides of your tree get good light from the window.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

IME, it's difficult to keep up with the moisture and humidity needs of Sageretia when it's growing full force. Compounding that problem, if you water too much, they can be prone to rot very quickly. I lost two (starts, so not really a biggie) due to their "finickiness". Wish I could be more helpful, but for me this has been one of those common but difficult trees.

Return to “Bonsai Identification”