Bonsai Guy

American Redbud or Cercis Canadensis aka Judas Tree

Tree Indentification
I found a really cool tree that had a weird mutation. The only reason I think it was a mutation was because it was unlike all the other trees of it's type in the sense that the flowers were sprouting from the trunk and joints of branches instead of on the ends of the branches like all the others were. I took some clippings and am trying to get them to root. can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is?

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/The_Bonsai_Guy/IMG00087.jpg[/img]
--Bonsai Guy--

Bonsai Guy

:twisted:

I had permission to take the clippings just FYI. I don't want anyone thinking that their trees aren't safe with this bonsai guy on the loose, or something. :twisted:
--Bonsai Guy--

Gnome
Mod

Bonsai Guy,

can anyone tell me what kind of tree this is?
Most likely American Redbud or Cercis canadensis.

https://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=american%20redbud&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Norm

jwglazer
Newly Registered

I was thinking Redbud as well. Just planted some Redbud trees in my father's yard. It is very common (in my experience) for the flowers to grow out of the trunk and joints of branches.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No doubt on the ID guys; that zig zag branch is why folks down south sometimes call it Judas tree, as it's as crooked as Judas...

And flowering from the node before leafing is what it does....nice native...

HG
Scott Reil

Bonsai Guy

yep thats what it looks like

Thanks for the speedy ID guys
--Bonsai Guy--

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Interesting choice for bonsai; real delicate bark, but pretty. and the branching structure should be striking

I might go more pen jing than bonsai, thaat is to say more clip and grow than wire and training...if you had to wire I'd wrap it in raffia like you would for Serrissa...

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “Bonsai Identification”