User282
Newly Registered

What type of bonsai tree is this?

Hi there,
So I have got my first bonsai tree today called zelkova (although it doesn’t look like one) I was hoping someone could tell me what type this is and how to take care of it

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg

MoonShadows

Nice looking tree. I did a Google search. From the look of the trunk and shape of the leaves, I think it may be a chinese elm.
bonsai_12510p25_4-600_600.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Chinese elm and Zelcova are very similar trees; the Chinese elm leaves are smaller . To complicate it further, Chinese elms are sometimes sold as Zelcovas, to avoid import restrictions. I don't believe there are any care differences between them, so the label is somewhat academic.

fromlawntofood
Newly Registered

It's a beautiful bonsai. I wonder how long it takes to grow them to that size and fullness?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It looks pretty healthy. To my eyes a bit over-styled. My take on the art of bonsai is to create a tree that looks like an old weathered tree in nature but miniaturized. Did you ever see a natural tree with two complete S curves?

Here's an example of a Zelcova with a lot of curve to it, but a bit less extreme, more natural looking:

Since you just got your tree, your task right now is just to learn your tree and learn how to keep it alive and healthy in its tiny pot in your conditions. Sometime next year you might want to thin it a bit, reduce some of the twigginess.

Return to “Bonsai Learning Forum & Library”