Juliew

New to Bonsai, Confused, and Need Help Please

image.jpg
Hi Everyone -
I just received my first bonsai yesterday, and I do not know much about this particular tree. It was shipped from California to here (Florida) in two days. First, let me explain what I would like to do. It is a Chinese Elm, it is approximately 10" tall, and has a 2" diameter straight trunk. The container it's in now is about 7 1/2" x 5 1/2", and 2 1/4" tall. The roots stick up about 1 1/2" above the pot. I want to put it in a larger container as part of a miniature garden. The container is 22 1/2" in diameter and 8 1/2" deep. My first question is this: Can I just plant the tree, small container and all in the big container to restrict root growth as long as it is not planted any deeper than it is now? Second question: Do the roots on top have to remain uncovered (there is some moss covering part of them), or can I plant more moss around it, or maybe use small-sized mulch? Third question: Since I don't know much about it, I do not know the type or quality of soil it's planted in. Should I replace the soil?
Lots of questions, but any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks! juliew

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is the same tree you wrote about here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =1&t=64694

It's usually not helpful to make different threads about the same plant/ questions. It just gets confusing, because people may not have seen each others comments then...

If you think of more questions, just add them to the thread you already started.

Juliew

Thanks Rainbowgardener - still not used to this site. I'll stick to one thread :oops:

Return to “Bonsai Learning Forum & Library”