Goku
Newly Registered

How to grow aerial roots on ficus

Hello! I have abonsai ficus and I want to grow aerial roots on them. I have tried wrapping the branch with wet sphagnum moss for 2 weeks but nothing happened. Thanks.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Re: How to grow aerial roots on ficus

Did you cut out a section of cambium before wrapping with sphagnum moss? If so, I've heard the process can take months.

Gnome
Mod

baileysup,
Did you cut out a section of cambium before wrapping with sphagnum moss?
Are you referring to air layering? The OP seems to be looking to enhance an existing tree, not create a new one.

Norm

baileysup
Green Thumb

Oh gosh! Yes I was. So sorry. Disregard my last post. That has nothing to do with your question, and you don't want to cut/remove anything. So sorry :( .

Goku
Newly Registered

I just want more aerial roots so that the tree looks good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To put out aerial roots, the tree needs to be in really high humidity. To accomplish this tent the tree in clear plastic. Put your tree in a tray, with stiff wire hoops, and drape plastic sheeting over it.. Make the tent large enough to hold the tree with a bit of space around it. The tree must stay in the tent and you mist it a couple times a day to keep the humidity high.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Goku
Newly Registered

Is there a technique by which one can get aerial roots on a specific place?

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”