bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Not unless its a specialty nursurey do they usualy have ficus bonsais. Try looking online, such as a google search. But, the problem with purchasing online is that you don't know what the tree will look like. Usualy when they show you a picture, the tree you get isn't as good as the one in the picture. The only way you can be sure is to by the tree from a small nursurey, not a mass production factory (thats where places like wal-mart get theirs). This methode is somewhat more satisfactory.

MOX13

so the last week has been just on the outside of horrible for me (many things breaking down, including my car, and leaving me scrambling). So my quest for bonsai has been put to a halt.......

however, last night, I was trying to recoup from another stressful day and happened across my favorite kill time site, ebay. I plugged in the first calming thought I could think of in my head, and within five minutes I had purchased a 3 year old japanese maple tree! I have no idea what it will look like, if it will even be bonsai material yet, but we'll see! I'm just excited to finally start this hobby...... I need something to distract me right now haha

Anywho, I'll be posting for people to follow along with ;)

MOX13

Alright people! I just got my japanese red maple tree in the mail and now I'm needing some guidance ;)

It looks to be pretty healthy, but it also is quite tall. Not sure how to deal with that when making a bonsai tree, but I'm betting we can make it work. Its approx 3 years old and seems to be recovering nicely from shipping.

Here are some pictures.....

[img]https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/MOX13/P4080082.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/MOX13/P4080085.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/MOX13/P4080086.jpg[/img]

So, any tips on how to get this guy started? I really want to a root over rock bonsai, so I'm looking for a rock to start that off with. I need to pot it soon too I'm assuming. Lemme know what you all think!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

You'll probably want to chop around the third or fourth branch and use a taller planting vessel, something like a 2 liter soda bottle. Plant the tree roots secured to the rock, and gradually "peel" away the pot.

MOX13

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but will the tree be able to survive such a dramatic cut? My interpretation of that is the little tiny branches, is that correct in what you are thinking? I'm a little nervous to make a big cut, and I'm not sure how it will look as it heals also.......

I'm not too worried about the root-over-rock part, as that seems pretty straight forward to me. The trimming down to bonsai size is the risky part to me....

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The thing is that the upper foliage is going to grow most readily/quickly if you do not perform the cut. While maples do back bud, you already some decent lower growth that would be, IMO, a shame to lose. Eventually, the cut will need to be made, and better now, while there is healthy growth already existing lower on the trunk, then later when there might not be. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Is it your intention to keep the tree at its full height? If so, you're going to need a HUGE rock and a HUGE pot for teh eventual finished product. And, that finished product will not be "ready" for at least a couple of decades.

MOX13

hahaha, oh no, I def want it to be much smaller.... I was just making sure that cutting it back that much is going to be okay to do without killing the tree ;)

Now, do I pot this little guy first, or should I trim it and then pot it?

Whats the best way to cut that main trunk so it doesnt leave an ugly scar? I want to cut it at an angle to one of the smaller branches that I want to become the eventual top of the tree right?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

MOX13,
I need to pot it soon too I'm assuming. Lemme know what you all think!
I think that since it is already in leaf you would be better off not potting it this year. If you are concerned about the pot being too small or mangled the way it is I suggest what is commonly referred to as a 'slip pot'

This is when you simply slip the tree from its previous pot and then place it in a slightly larger one and back fill as necessary. If it is rootbound you could loosen the roots a bit but now is not the right time of year for extensive root work, you just missed it.

Whether or not to chop it this year would depend upon what you're trying to achieve. If you want a larger trunk then I think I would hold off on any pruning for several years. Maples will back bud readily so that is not a concern.

If, however, you would like a more feminine tree and are anxious to get started (I've jumped the gun more than a few times) then you could begin the process this year. It's up to you and dependent upon your goals for this particular tree.

Norm

MOX13

hmmm, you bring up a good point norm...... I probably don't want to repot the tree now that it has leaves already. :/ see, I really would like to get its roots wrapped around a rock to get that part of the procedure going because it will take awhile for that to set correctly. So is it a really bad idea to do it now, or will it just hinder the growth of the tree for a while?

I'm not too concerned about cutting this tree yet, as I think it looks kinda cool as it is for now, so I am not opposed to letting it just grow for a year or two. However I would like to get the root-over-rock part going now. Any thoughts on that?

Rosaelyn

I realize that this post is several months old. ;) But what happened with your maple, Mox? Did you repot it? Did you find a rock and start shaping it? Did you chop the top off?

This inquiring mind wants to know. :)

MOX13

Ah, hahaha, thanks for inquiring :)

it was going good actually for quite some time........ I planted it over a nice rock, with the roots around the rock wrapped in saranwrap. The root system wasnt quite as long as I wanted it, so it struggled for the first few weeks with the restriction on the root system, but came through nicely afterward....

then came the moving......

I moved twice within 4 months, and I think the shock of moving and having inconsistent watering schedule (had to leave the plant with my parents for a while) didnt help out its health. Once I finally made it to my final desitination for a while, it slowly degraded and withered away. Now, the dead twig sits outside on my porch to remind me that I failed and need to restart it again sometime.

thanks for asking tho! hopefully I'll get something up and running again soon so you all can follow along!

Rosaelyn

Well, I hope once you get yourself a lil more settled, you are able to start your tree once more. :)

WatchMeShove

If you want an easy answer, start with a juniper. The are easy to take care of and hard to kill. The root over rock style is a good idea but if you want to own your first bonsai go with a juniper. Pruning them is easier because you go for overall shape rather than branch by branch and also when you get bored you can root cuttings from it and begin a whole mess of juniper cuttings. Also when you buy a plant you are thinking of making into a bonsai, that does not necessarily mean it will go straight into a bonsai pot, once you cut roots the trunk will increase in size at a very slow rate if it increases at all. Also, with that maple, you probably should have left it in a pot for a year or two more to fatten up the trunk.

GardenerX

MOX13,

I am new to bonsai as well, I've been expirementing with different types of trees for about 3 years now, but I have to say my very first tree is still my best. I've had it for about 3 and 1/4 years and I've expiremented with it so many times I lost track lol, anyways it's a Ginseng Ficus I've even cut it back so much it looks like I cut it in half "thats when I had no idea what I was doing" it looked like it was going to die but it was stuburn and it held on so I think this would be a great tree to begin with...

Also a Juniper I have a Chinese Juniper now and its doing great outside it withstood 20F and under through winter and still came back strong but it all depends on if you want a inside tree or outside tree. Me I love haveing some inside and outside but thats just me. :wink:

I Hope This Helps

WatchMeShove

seriously wait till u want its trunk size, then cut it down at about 1/3 full size of how tall u want ur bonsai to be. when u cut it down at a 45 degree angle it will grow multiple new branches, keep the ones you want. bonsai is complicated, but let's keep it simple. When u cut the end of the branch it will no longer get wider, however it will direct it's energy to other branches. WHEN YOU CUT THE TREE AT A 45* ANGLE, it will start new growth at it's cut point. it will grow out but no longer outwards. It will grow but these branches can be shaped.

Return to “Bonsai Learning Forum & Library”