57ChevyChick

Mold in compost ?

I am VERY new to composting and this is probably a stupid question but is this normal...or is it too wet ? I'm using a 32 gal trash can that I have put holes in all over, including the lid and bottom.....I noticed yesterday that there was some mold on top of some greens....I'm having alot of trouble rolling the container without the darn lid coming off....the instructions that I followed recommended to roll the container once a wk.....I'm going to get my pitch fork out and try that way..... thanks for any help

Nogol

ya...I get mold in mine too, I was wondering about the normality of that as well....hopefully someone will answer our question

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I continue to repeat, compost has three basic requirements: organic material, air, and sufficient but not excessive moisture. The trash can composters that I've seen seem to 1) have limited openings for air exchange, 2) make it somewhat difficult for thorogh mixing, to decrease density and increase oxygen available to all parts 3) provide for an environment where the moisture will easily become excessive. Make adjustments such that your mixture is loose, not compacted, damp but not wet, and includes a mix of brown and green organic materials. You can always dump the contents on concrete or a hard surface turn thoroughly and then replace in the container. While the material is out, make a judgement about the balance of materials, moisture level, and density. Make adjustments where necessary.

Anyone with a large enough yard would be better served to locate an open compost pile in an out of the way location. If animals are a problem, place the compost inside some kind of wire or screen enclosure.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

57ChevyChick

I put many holes in the container...like one every 2 inches...Or less. I checked it this afternoon because I was going to mix it all up and I didn't see any mold....maybe that's not what I saw a couple days ago, not sure now. It didn't seem excessively wet at all....I used a pick fork to turn it over real good...I think I have the right amount of "green" and "brown" now.....I'm excited about composting ! Thank you for your advice....

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you have all of that, it should do great. Rember the black crumbly stuff comes at the end. The ingredients during the middle of the process may not always be so perfect looking.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Mold is fine in your compost as long as you know you are mixing it and that it's not to wet. I often get mold after I throw in a bunch of green yard waste no matter how much I mix it. But after a few mixing then all is good. Unless you have the time to try and be perfect and place a small layer of greens then a layer of browns every time you add something you will have occational mold in the spots that have the heavier greens.

As far as mixing I found a bulb planting auger that connects to my drill at the local hardware store. It works really good to mix up the compost espcially in a trash can bin. I have a large home made bin but during the summer I some times have to use a trash can as my over flow and in both situations it works really well for a quick mix and fluff of the compost.

gooberpeas
Newly Registered

Wow! Am I blessed in GA! I have access to all the compost my little heart desires and my pickkup can haul. (Cobb County, GA.) I live in an older neighborhood in the suburbs, so we have an acre plus yard. There are hundreds of trees, etc. so we have to work at finding sun. I love azaleas, begonias, hostas, and ferns; however, so I do OK. My husband and I have planted some tomatoes, knowing full well that it will take a miracle for them to produce in so little sunshine. I wish it were possible to email some of this free black compost!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Mold is good, Especially deep inside the pile. It will not grow under conditions that are too wet. Fungi do the bulk of breakdown for woody materials.

Kel
Newly Registered

Hello Helpful Gardeners! I have been composting for a few months now and just discovered some white growth. Anyone know what this could be?
Attachments
IMG_1764.JPG

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

That's a fungus, I've seen it before (on the internet that is) but can't remember what. Harmless in any case.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

If it moves around, it may be a Slime Mold which actually aren't fungi but a completely different class of microbe.

https://waynesword.palomar.edu/slime1.htm

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/myxomycetes.html

Ksk
Cool Member

I have barrels too due to pack rat issues if I leave the pile in the open.
If I see or smell slime and mold, I just add more brown and within a week the compost smells better. As you spin, the compost will roll into balls. When the compost is finished I dump it on a tarp and take it to where I want it. I chop up the clods and it works very well. I have never had to take it out and put it back in the drums.

Kel
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your helpful comments! I was afraid of spores so I removed it. If I notice it again, I will mix it in, as the purpose of a compost is to engage a variety of species and systems. Thanks again!

applestar
Mod

I discovered one on the lid of my vermicomposter this morning. I ran back inside to get my iPad to take a picture. It's really kind of beautiful -- it was starting to dry up by late morning. Very ephemeral.

...When I went out to put some Melon scraps in there after lunch, there was a new one growing on the INSIDE OF THE LID. :o

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Entirely possible it was the same one and it MOVED. Look on You Tube for 'slime mold' and you'll see some time lapse videos of them. Probably didn't prefer the sunlight.

Return to “Composting Forum”