adkii
Newly Registered

Newbie to Composting & Would Like Some Help

Hello, I am new to the forum and to composting.

I am using a 32 gallon plastic garbage can. My husband drilled 3 levels of holes all around the can. Do I also need holes on the bottom?

Yesterday, I started adding items to my pile. The first layer was kitchen scraps (veggies peels, bread, cookies, oatmeal, flour, old spices, tea leaves, crushed egg shells, etc). The 2nd layer was leaves from the backyard. Then I sprinkled top soil and then watered a little. Today, I did the same layering process.

I read somewhere that urine was a good nitrogen source. Does anyone add this to their pile?

How often should I turn the pile? I know the can is small but that's the only thing I could get right now.

How long does it take for the pile to heat up? The can will get plenty of sunshine.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Here's a pic of the can:
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/adkii/Garden/PICT0132.jpg[/img]

Here's the inside of the can:
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/adkii/Garden/PICT0133.jpg[/img]
[/url]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My preference would be mixing rather than layering, or perhaps layering and then mixing. The really wet kitchen stuff is going to want to rot if it is in a cohesive mass. Also the holes in the can are pretty small, would prefer larger holes near the bottom. Finally, would think that it will be really hard to turn or mix the composting materials if the can gets more than about 1/3 full. If composting in such a container, I would likely lean toward using it as a worm bed and let them do the work for me. Maybe someone who has experience in such a closed container will chime in.

In general compost needs organic material, moisture, and air. Also the materials break down better and are less likely to putrify if mixed thoroghly and turned occasionally. As far as urine in a closed container like that, would be an experiment I would NOT try.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

If you are adding dirt then you don't really need holes in the bottom. Now if you end up having to many "greens" veggies and kitchen scraps you might get it to wet where if you have wholes in the bottom it could let some moister drain out but that could also help it dry out to much. So it depends on how much you pay attention to it. Remember you want it damp like a damp sponge but not wet.

What you've read about urine is believed to be true. If you need it go ahead and use it.

I'm not sure exactly how much your bin will warm up. It looks like it's good size so it might warm up just fine. Typically the rule of thumb is you should turn the pile just after it's reached it's peak heat. But I don't follow that to much I usually turn it every once in a while depending on how much I add to it so every thing gets good and mixed. But usually best to let it sit for 3 or 4 days then mix and let sit.

Return to “Composting Forum”