Nogol

INDOOR COMPOSTING

My cousin just moved into a loft apartment in the city and I want to encourage her to compost but we are both at a loss of how she could compost in an apartment where she has no balcony or garden. Also, where could she get rid of this composted material?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Maybe she would be better off searching for a community garden where there is composting activity, or perhaps search out a nearby gardener who seeks materials for his/her composting activity.

Nogol

ya for sure, you are bang on with that. But for the actual composting itself....what type of container would an indoor compost be?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'd recommend a small worm box for indoor composting. These can often fit into closets or other small areas indoors. A properly maintained worm box will not have any odor; in fact, if it *does* generate an odor, that's how you can tell that it's in need of attention.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Nogol

Awesome! Thats kinda what I was thinking, just wasn't sure how many worms would be good per square inch. Does that question make any sense?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Mary Appelhof, author of "Worms Eat My Garbage," is regarded as the modern "founder" of vermicomposting. Her book, published in 1982, is light-hearted, scientifically sound, and short. It's an example of excellent writing.

The website www.wormwoman.com is dedicated to her work and contains lots of helpful detail on how big, how many, how often, how much--worm bins, worms, food, worm castings.

Take a look! It's a fun, enjoyable website.

Cynthia H.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Someone else listed this link for an indoor worm composting bin:

[url]https://www.cascadewormbin.com/[/url]

Nogol

....and not just regular earth worms, I hear? What kind of worms then?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Correct. Earthworms live in soil; compost worms live in litter (bedding).

You want Eisenia foetida (fetida), also called red wigglers, red wrigglers, red worms, tiger worms....which is why you want to be sure they're E. foetida.

I bought some at my local independent garden-supply store (1 lb for $20, pretty normal price), but ended up killing them. :( My girlfriend then gave me a quart of worms from her compost: these are still alive, and I've split them into three locations: two worm bins and the BioStack.

Cynthia H.

rthgreen
Newly Registered

In regards to the OP's question, you can definitely try to find a gardening area in your community to donate your finished compost to, or perhaps find a neighbor who gardens that you can give to.

My favorite website for all things to do with vermicomposting is findworms.com. They're very comprehensive about where you can buy worms and bins, so definitely check that site out if you're looking for either.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm not sold on using red wigglers anywhere on the continent of North America. I realize there are an awful lot of worm huggers out there but the tides of conventional wisdom are just now beginning to change-
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7047

If your cousin does choose to vermicompost, please ask your cousin to consider thoroughly screening the compost for all worms and cocoons before sharing it so they can be returned to the worm bin. cynthia_h screens for fugitives religiously and I'm sure she could talk somebody through the process and probably even share photos of the cocoons. I don't vermicompost.

This is for an apartment with no balcony and no garden?

Hmmm, consider Bokashi. It can handle all kitchen scraps to include poultry, fish, and meats. Check out the info and links in this thread-
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8095

Incredibly, it really works. I'm a convert. I used to only be able to compost vegetable and fruit scraps from my kitchen. Now I can compost it all. Wish I lived near Nogol's cousin. I'd take any Bokashi "black gold" off his/her hands in a heartbeat and if my friends found out there was a person doing this... they'd be standing in line outside that apartment looking for free handouts like they are at Starbucks. On that note, there's probably a community garden out there that would LOVE to accept your cousin's compost but elementary schools frequently have children's gardens and would probably be more than happy to accept it too.

Here's a link to a retail site that used to sell the Bokashi systems. They don't any longer because of the cost of shipping and handling but they still support the product. This is the exact Bokashi system I bought. I've got the white set. I can't remember who I bought it from but another member here gave me a link to a supplier. I've including the link to the Kitchen Gardener because they cover the product quite nicely even though they don't sell it any longer, just scroll down-
https://kitchengardenfoods.com/page/2/

Return to “Composting Forum”