hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Kettle Grill: My Ant Proof Earthworm Box

I have always loved the idea of synergy, that is when it is working in my favor.

The Non-gardening board has a long thread called 'Recycle trash to treasure' that I've been following for a few days. Well, just a little while ago read this post related to the worm bed. So happens I have a pretty good compost pile and at least 20 years ago added a pound or two or earth worms. Up until a couple of years ago when the fire ants invaded the compost piles I would have huge masses of worms throughout the pile. It never occurred to me to consider a worm bed. So with the post related to a worm bed coupled with the thread on re-use, my mind started turning, [what can I use for a worm bed.] Just happened to think about a large kettle grill that got replaced by a fancy gas unit and has been stored in the barn for at least ten years. It has vent holes for air, a lid to keep out undesireable critters and is heavy enamel and aluminum. So the expiment begins. Half filled the kettle grill with partially decomposed compost, sifted through and picked out some earthworms to make sure a few were in this starter mix. In the future rather than adding my kitchen scraps directly to the compost pile, instead will put them in this makeshift worm bed. Will let you know how it works, to both discourage the invasion of fireants and toencouraging the growth of my earthworm population.

Thanks for starting this thread, even if this kettle grill arrangement does not work, I'm reasonably sure that a relatively ant proof earthworm box can be set up.

Am open to any design ideas.

Alex

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Make sure that your pile in the grill stays moist! Good luck with your experiment.

Return to “Composting Forum”