wolfie

Composting for Beginners?

Is anyone out there willing to create a step by step message from start to finish for those of us wanting to start the compost bin?

I mean from the very beginning of how to build your bin, to the end of how do you know your compost is done, and what to do with it at that point, ie screen sift to using it.

Thanks to whomever takes on this endeavor!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I know that you want a step-by-step procedure, but....

Try performing an Internet search on "how to make compost." I did one yesterday and got over 450,000 hits. :shock: Clearly, there is NO ONE TRUE WAY to make compost.

Experienced composters will suggest "use a commercial bin," "no, you don't need a bin," etc.

When I first decided to start making compost, it turned out that the city where I lived had a subsidized program whereby DH and I could purchase a Biostack bin for only $33. It was a tremendous deal then--in the mid-'80s--and the Biostack is still working.

I also just last Saturday attended a Beginning Compost class in the City of Palo Alto to get a voucher for another Biostack bin; this one to go into my MIL's back yard.

Check with your local city or county government to see whether they're subsidizing any bins right now.

Any commercial bin will come with an instruction sheet on how to best use that particular bin.

Search elsewhere in the Compost Forum for "ingredients," also known as Browns (carbon-rich) and Greens (nitrogen-rich), to put into the bin. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at the % reduction you'll get in your throw-away garbage.

The take-home message from last Saturday's class was:

Browns + Greens + Water + Air = compost.

The "air" comes from turning the compost.

Take a look around the Compost Forum. There are many threads full of good advice and experience in making compost in *many* ways! :)

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There are some directions for various types of compost bins at this link:

https://www4.uwm.edu//shwec/publications/cabinet/html/compost/Bin%20Plans.htm

Here is a list of some of the things you can put in your compost pile:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9089

I also recommend that you read the older threads on this forum. Lots of excellent information in those that will answer many of your questions. :)

alisios

You could build a bin to put it in, but I know a few people who just use chicken wire formed into a circle wired to a stick frame. Layer all your compostables inside and when it comes time to turn it, just dismantle the frame and wire, reassemble the circle next to your pile, and put your compost into the new frame.

Instant turning the pile!

wolfie

Thanks guys, I have spent the last few hours reading thru all this, and the various links on the internet but my main concern I think is I will need a commercial bin that is covered so as to keep the varmints out as I don't want my dog eating rats with rabies, I think that will also keep my landlord off my back with an unsightly pile in the yard.

I may just bite the bullet and order one, seems the best route, as for browns and greens, I will do some looking and create my own list of stuff I have around here and get er done that way...

thanks again!

Capricorn

If I make a compost bin near my house will unpleasant odour come from it ?

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Wolfie - The one recommendation I would have is that it the bin should be close to 1 cubic yard (3x3x3 ft) If it get's much smaller then that they they don't work as well.

Capricorn - the only time you will get an odour from your compost is when it's off ballance with to much Nitrogen (greens) This could happen very easily in the sommer when you have a lot more greens then browns like grass and not many brown leaves. Then you can add other browns like newspaper or junk mail. Or it could be just to wet from water in that case you can just let it dry out a bit and turn it.

Return to “Composting Forum”