Ole Dummy

Ants in my compost pile

I have fire ants in my compost pile. I started the pile in the winter and about April I noticed the ants. Is there something I can put in the pile to get rid of them. This is my first try at composting so any info is appreciated.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Buy one of those extra large shakers of cinnamon and shake that on and in your compost to detur the ants. You might also look to see if you have the hole pile there and dig that up and shake the cinnamon on there as well.

Ole Dummy

Thanks, I'll get some today.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not a problem!

Ole Dummy

Worked like a charm, didn't see any ants in the pile today.
Thanks opabinib51

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Do you think the cinnamon trick would work for the ants who have invaded my patio pavers? I think they're tunnelling underneath. Some of them found their way into our house, unfortunately... Maybe I can find cinnamon at the dollar store.

alisios

Cinnamon is so expensive.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I buy cinnamon in bulk from an (East) Indian grocery store. If you live where there's a large South Asian population (Bengali, Hindi, Sikh, Pakistani, etc.), you will be AMAZED at the low price of cinnamon. No joke.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

alisios

geez, here a small kitchen/cooking sized spice bottle goes for around 7 dollars!

eek.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Alisios, you've been robbed. :(

For the first time since your above post, I've been to a local (East) Indian grocery for spices. (I'm fortunate to have two to choose from; if any other East Bay'ers are reading this, check out Milan Market at 9th & University in Berkeley.)

Here are today's prices on the three spices I purchased:

(Yellow) mustard seed--$2.99/lb if purchasing ≥ 1 lb; $3.49/lb otherwise.

Celery seed--$2.49/lb if purchasing ≥ 1 lb; $2.99/lb otherwise.

Powdered cinnamon--$5.99/lb if purchasing ≥ 1 lb; $6.99 otherwise. So I ended up with 13 oz. (scooped 'em into a very small brown paper bag) and paid $3.80 for this truly princely amount of cinnamon. Some will go to ant control; some will stay in the kitchen.

**NOT** expensive when purchased this way; I hope you have an Indian grocery near you!

Cynthia

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Another great hidden source is the "ethnic" section of your grocery store. I'd been complaining about the cost of powdered ginger but I finally noticed that the Mexican Spice display had a regular kitchen sized jar for less than $1.50. They had cinnamon too, and other regularly used herbs all for the same price. Jackpot!

STF

So are the ants a problem or should I leave them alone? Can I use an organic repellent or will this effect the friendly critters I need for composting?

rot
Greener Thumb

In a regularly turned bin or pile ants are a non issue.

I don't deal with fire ants though so I don't know if I'd want to turn with those suckers moving in.

I've been ignoring the low ant activity in my slow bins.

astevn816

I do not believe that fire ants are a help or hindrance to a compost bin. But I do not want fire ants making a home in my backyard so the organic remedy will be very effective. Thank You.

Return to “Composting Forum”