smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Compost done?

I believe my compost bin is for the most part done making compost. It was in the works from late last summer. It got really hot this spring and now it's just as cool as the air. So with this being my first finished compost I'm fairly sure it's done BUT I still need help.

My question is what does everyone use to filter/screen out the done compost with the stuf that needs to be thown back in?

Just for a little back ground this is a a home made bin that is about 3 foot x 3 foot x 3 foot and I turn it by usually pulling from the bottom and mixing it on top and adding to it at least weekly if not more often with kitchen scraps or garden clippings.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on your compost! :D

I made two screens for my compost. Each one is a screwed-together frame, approx. 24" x 30", of 1 by 2's. Then I staple-gunned hardware cloth to the frames. One frame has 1/2-inch (1 cm) hardware cloth; the other has 1/4-inch (0.5 cm). I suggest sizing the frame so that it will sit over your wheelbarrow or other large container without falling in.

I lay the frame over my wheelbarrow and fork stuff onto the frame. (Towards the bottom, I use a square shovel.) Whatever falls through is "Officially Finished Compost" and gets to go into the garden. Whatever does not fall through is returned to the Biostack for another go-round.

Have fun!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Hardware cloth? I'm not sure I know what you mean by hardware cloth.

I was browsing the hardware store last night and saw something I thought I would try. I found this stuff they called metal lath. It's that mesh stuff they hang on the walls to hold the plaster up when they plaster the walls. Here is a link to what I used. https://amico-lath.com/lath/standard_metal_lath.htm I connected that to a frame of 2x6s that is about 1 1/2 foot square. It's the perfect size to fit over a five gallon bucket. I put some stuff in it from the bin and brush and shake it around and what doesn't come out goes back in. Since this is my first time with compost I can only assume it's what I'm wanting. It smells like dirt but seems kind of dry. When I look at it I can see a lot of little leaf peaces but alot of other stuff that looks like dirt. My wife also believes it's what compost is suppose to look like. I was able to fill my 5 gallon bucket in no time. I'm so excited to start reaping the bennifits of my hard work. I just got done working in my first bucket into the flower bed and garden.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

If you remember old wooden screen doors, people used to use hardware cloth over the screen on the bottom section to prevent kicking the screen out. If you go to any Ace or True Value hardware store they'll know hardware cloth. Lowes or HD should for that matter. I think it would work better than the plaster lathe you found.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Thanks I'll have to go look and ask. Sorry I'm a young'n so I'm not familiar with wooden screen doors. The ones we've always had were alluminum and if you kicked the bottom in on those you got you but kicked. :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hardware cloth comes on rolls. The staff at the hardware store will cut off however much you need; it's usually priced by the running foot.

The hardware stores around here keep the rolls near the lumber dept.

Cynthia

wolfie

Thanks for this question, I had no idea I need a screen, I am still trying to figure out what to make my bin out of!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

smokensqueal wrote: I put some stuff in it from the bin and brush and shake it around and what doesn't come out goes back in. Since this is my first time with compost I can only assume it's what I'm wanting. It smells like dirt but seems kind of dry. When I look at it I can see a lot of little leaf peaces but alot of other stuff that looks like dirt. My wife also believes it's what compost is suppose to look like. I was able to fill my 5 gallon bucket in no time. I'm so excited to start reaping the bennifits of my hard work. I just got done working in my first bucket into the flower bed and garden.
Sorry; I was so focused on answering about the hardware cloth that I FORGOT :!: about the compost!!!

It sounds like you have a 5-gallon bucket of finished, ready-to-use compost. Yes; some of it will look like leaves. Mine does, even though I almost never have any leaves at all to go into it.

Feels good, doesn't it? A nice sense of accomplishment. :)

Cynthia

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Ya I was wondering about my browns problem too until my sister bought a house. She has a lot of large trees and she wasn't sure what to do with the leaves. I said bring them on down. Way more then what I needed but very glad I had them. First few bags I put in with out shreading them and that was a mistake then got a leave blower/vacuum and chopped up the rest. That worked much better.

Wolfie
As far as making your own bin good luck. I had a lot of extra PVC fencing from when my dad use to sell it. I used it and made my own and painted it black. I even built a flip top for it. There are so may different ones that can be done. I think I let to much space between the slats. O well it works and getting your first compost out of it is great!

Return to “Composting Forum”