Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We Need a List of Common Ingredients for Composting

I've participated in a fitnesss forum for 6 years. One of the most helpful stickies is entitled "Grocery list for a healthy diet". It saves tons of Q&A.

Would some of our more experienced members be willing to make a SIMPLE list of COMMON ingredients for composting separated into a list of greens and browns? Maybe Webmaster could give a few people editing powers for such a post. BTW, thanks for the new forum.I think it will be popular.

The reason I request this is because browns get scarce in the summertime. I've long since spent my sawdust and newspaper. Anybody else think a stickie like this would be handy?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

My Internet search just now on “how to make compostâ€

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Upon re reading my title and post, maybe it was confusing. I was suggesting a simple stickie for this new forum. Not another forum on ingredients for compost.

Cynthia, I realize that the answers are out on the net.I just thought it would be nice to have it on the forum. Maybe re read my last sentence too. Thanks for the links though.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OK. Sorry to misunderstand the thread title! :oops:

Re. Sticky: My thought is that a Sticky would have the imprimatur of authority, a "recommendation"--if you will--that the methods(s) and ingredient(s) on such Sticky were *the best* and that The Helpful Gardener stood behind them.

Such a Sticky would confuse beginning composters, since they'll look on the Internet and then read this (theoretical) Sticky and wonder why there is conflicting information. Three examples of potentially confusing conflicts:

Example 1: There are Internet sites which state that you can have "finished compost" in 14 days. => Maybe in commercial windrows, but I don't think this time frame is feasible in a home situation.

Example 2: Many "How to Compost" sites state never to put beans, bread, or other such foods into your heap. => Perhaps, if you've had rat/mouse infestations, this prohibition makes sense. But I've used a Biostack for over 20 years and have put bread, etc., into it, and have never seen mice/rats/raccoons/possums/skunks interested in what I had. (BTW, I also put heavy bricks on the lid!)

Example 3: Lots of "How to Compost" sites make a big deal out of "Hot" vs. "Cool" compost piles. => In the real world, compost piles can run from ambient temperature, even sub-freezing if not insulated during a hard winter, to temperatures which catch fire spontaneously (rare in the home, occasional at commercial facilities). Any given pile, at different times of the year and upon receiving differing combinations of ingredients, can be Freezing, Cold, Cool, So-So, Warm, or Hot. Or anywhere in between.

So I would argue *against* putting an "Official" Sticky in the Compost Forum with lists of ingredients (no one list can be exhaustive) OR methods/bins/turning frequency/etc.

My pennysworth.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hey Charlie, I'll start you out because I had to look this information up myself-
Browns are sources of carbon and they don't decompose all that fast. Examples of browns would be the straw from horse stalls, sawdust from my chainsaw, ashes from our fireplaces and pit, pine needles, leaves, stale bread, and spent potting soils. Greens are sources of nitrogen and they decompose faster. Examples of greens would be horse manure, dog poops (yes, I add those to my composter because my dogs are all on Frontline Plus and vetted at least once a year), chicken poop?, coffee grounds, tea bags, vegetable and fruit scraps, pond string algae, house plants on their way to heaven, shrub prunings, and grass clippings.

Egg shells would be a brown but they also add calcium.

When we have a party and offer beer, I pour all the left over beer from the party into the composter. Same deal with juices the kids don't drink.

editing to add- sorry cynthia_h, posting when you were posting. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought he just wanted a break down of browns and greens. Regarding anything any of us read on the Internet, there is no substitute for healthy skepticism and using one's own judgment.

editing yet again- adding pet and people poops to compost is very controversial, particularly cat poops. My cats are 100% indoor only, were tested before they were brought into this home, and I still won't add their poops because two of them are toxoplasmosis carriers. Cats become carriers of the disease by killing and eating live prey. All of my cats were former strays and came from shelters. Shelters don't routinely test for toxo. I had to have my vets run the tests. Most people don't even understand why running this test is important. I would have to say based on what I know, don't add cat or people poops to composters.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:OK. Sorry to misunderstand the thread title! :oops:

Re. Sticky: My thought is that a Sticky would have the imprimatur of authority, a "recommendation"--if you will--that the methods(s) and ingredient(s) on such Sticky were *the best* and that The Helpful Gardener stood behind them.

Such a Sticky would confuse beginning composters, since they'll look on the Internet and then read this (theoretical) Sticky and wonder why there is conflicting information. Three examples of potentially confusing conflicts:

Example 1: There are Internet sites which state that you can have "finished compost" in 14 days. => Maybe in commercial windrows, but I don't think this time frame is feasible in a home situation.

Example 2: Many "How to Compost" sites state never to put beans, bread, or other such foods into your heap. => Perhaps, if you've had rat/mouse infestations, this prohibition makes sense. But I've used a Biostack for over 20 years and have put bread, etc., into it, and have never seen mice/rats/raccoons/possums/skunks interested in what I had. (BTW, I also put heavy bricks on the lid!)

Example 3: Lots of "How to Compost" sites make a big deal out of "Hot" vs. "Cool" compost piles. => In the real world, compost piles can run from ambient temperature, even sub-freezing if not insulated during a hard winter, to temperatures which catch fire spontaneously (rare in the home, occasional at commercial facilities). Any given pile, at different times of the year and upon receiving differing combinations of ingredients, can be Freezing, Cold, Cool, So-So, Warm, or Hot. Or anywhere in between.

So I would argue *against* putting an "Official" Sticky in the Compost Forum with lists of ingredients (no one list can be exhaustive) OR methods/bins/turning frequency/etc.

My pennysworth.

Cynthia H.

Whew, Cynthia, you're a complicated lady.

Lorax, That's what I was after. Just a simple list naming greens and browns. I've seen quite a few questions along this line. Like I said, I just run out of browns in the summer.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Complicated, maybe.

And also a former legal secretary, current technical editor, and in-between teacher (not currently teaching, haven't formally decided to give it up). Many smaller, pay-the-bills jobs, too: construction, grooming, word processing, tutoring....

In the law, science, and (alas, only *sometimes* in) education, assertions must be backed up by evidence/data/prof. experience.

Based on my own years in these fields, I'm reluctant to ascribe authority (or have it ascribed) to a source run by volunteers, albeit educated, experienced volunteers. (There are all too few professional gardeners, whether practicing or retired, at THG, to go around!) The many peer-to-peer listserves and bulletin boards/fora I've been involved with have almost always run up against hostility, controversy, and/or confusion from members when something "authoritative" is posted which contradicts information found elsewhere.

Why go looking for controversy via an "official" Sticky on a subject which already has approx. 450,000 possible sources?

Maybe it's just b/c I tend to view Stickies as having the tacit approval and support of the site owner(s), regardless of the subject matter, but I don't think I'm the only one. Weird? Probably. Unique? Probably not.

Glad we straightened out the "new forum" part, anyway! :)

Cynthia

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Good Gawd, I'm very sorry I asked. I retract the request. I'm gonna go cower in my compost pile.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hijacking thread for a moment from common ingredients- what do you all do with your corn cobs? I've been chopping them up before tossing them in and that is incredibly labor intensive and down right hard on my fingers. I've never tossed a whole one in. Does anyone toss them in whole and if so approximately how long do they take to break down?

Another question, I know soy based inks are used for newspapers now. I've been sending my newspaper to the recycling plant or setting them aside to use in layers to block out competition for plugs. We should be able to compost newspaper, right? What about thin paper plates? Napkins?

Back on topic, I dump all shredded newspaper that is used to pack shipments to us in the composter. Shredded newspaper would be a brown. I got to thinking about what else I toss in my composter. Peanut shells go in the composter. Those are browns. Left over cole slaw complete with the mayonnaise goes in too and I've not had a problem with it. Same deal with left over potato, Waldorf, carrot & raisin, cranberry, pistachio, and pineapple jello salads. These all have mayo or mayo and whipped/sour cream in them. Normally I'm only tossing in a left over cup or two that got rammed to the back of the frig and forgotten so perhaps tossing these in hasn't been a problem because the quantity wasn't all that much?

As of yesterday, I started tossing in weeds. I let some quack grass fry on the driveway several weeks ago and instead of bagging it and tossing it out as I normally would, into the composter it went. I deadheaded some weeds that were blooming and in they went! Thought about composting some Jerusalem artichoke I dug up but figured that might be pushing it unless it fries out for a month of so on the driveway. I should have been doing this long ago. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me applestar!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

TheLorax wrote:Hijacking thread for a moment from common ingredients- what do you all do with your corn cobs? I've been chopping them up before tossing them in and that is incredibly labor intensive and down right hard on my fingers. I've never tossed a whole one in. Does anyone toss them in whole and if so approximately how long do they take to break down?
I put corn cobs into the compost. I just break them in half. When I last turned the compost in March (yes, yes: I neeeeed to do it *now*), the cobs from last July/August were almost completely decomposed. So I'd estimate a year for corn cobs.
TheLorax wrote:Another question, I know soy based inks are used for newspapers now. I've been sending my newspaper to the recycling plant or setting them aside to use in layers to block out competition for plugs. We should be able to compost newspaper, right? What about thin paper plates? Napkins?
I've been shredding black-and-white newspaper (not the Sunday funnies or the slick advertising sections) and putting it into my compost for years. For many years, newspaper was the only "brown" I had regular access to. It decomposes very well! My only caveat would be that, when you water the compost, make sure the shredded newspaper doesn't all clump to itself.

Re. the paper plates: At our local Earth Day, the city had us toss in our thick paper plates as well as napkins and cornstarch (?)-based flatware into bins for a commercial compost operation, along with fruit/sandwich waste. The city did NOT want cake frosting or the condiment packages; those had to go into the garbage. In May, I put some paper plates, paper towels, and cotton fabric bits into my compost. I will report back when I turn the bin.
TheLorax wrote:As of yesterday, I started tossing in weeds. I let some quack grass fry on the driveway several weeks ago and instead of bagging it and tossing it out as I normally would, into the composter it went. I deadheaded some weeds that were blooming and in they went! Thought about composting some Jerusalem artichoke I dug up but figured that might be pushing it unless it fries out for a month of so on the driveway. I should have been doing this long ago. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me applestar!
Alas. I don't compost the weeds I'm stuck with, except the dandelions. Those go in, minus their flowers and minus their roots. The rest of what I've got will sprout from a piece of leaf, as far as I'm concerned: Bermuda grass, crabgrass, oxalis, Yellow Star Thistle, and the like.

I'm actually trying to GROW Jerusalem artichoke to eat. Don't worry: it's out by the street and bounded on all four sides by 1) sidewalk, 2) sidewalk, 3) street curb, and 4) driveway. Talk about full sun...it has the best spot on the property. But the "spot" is approx. 8' x 12' or so and, given its exposure to passers-by, I thought "sunchokes" might be immune from theft. We shall see; they haven't come up yet for me.

Cynthia H.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

So I'd estimate a year for corn cobs.
Good, I'm tired of cutting them into 1/2" slices. It's way too hard on my fingers particularly when I'm doing 10 at a time. It will be much easier to snap them in half and toss them.

I was just curious about the newspaper. I thought it could be composted.

Good to know about the thin and thick paper plates. We don't have the thick ones around here as we only use paper plates as inserts when we've got friends and family over for BBQs. We go through a lot of paper napkins though and we had been tossing those. Won't toss those anywhere but in the composter now.

Cotton fabric I've been using around the bases of trees under mulch. Nice additional weed barrier. It doesn't decompose under mulch all that fast. I've got some blue jean material that was cut and placed around the bases of some trees around 7 years ago or so and it's holding up amazingly well and the jeans I used were well worn too. The kind that is darn near thread bare.
bounded on all four sides by 1) sidewalk, 2) sidewalk, 3) street curb, and 4) driveway
Wish mine were contained. They were here long before we were. They're more of a nuisance than anything else by me and they attain some righteous heights that shade out more desirable species. The main reason why I didn't compost them is because some critter has been eating them. Something drags them off from my piles and I'll find them strewn all over the yard. If you ever get to dig any up, you'll see that the tubers look pretty tough and I don't know that frying them on the driveway would necessarily do them in anyway even if they do stay put on the hot asphalt. Last thing in the world I'd want would be Jerusalem Artichoke sprouting from my composter. I've tasted them before and if you shoot your hose on them, you can eat them right out of the ground. They're not bad at all and I rather like the taste. Nobody else around here cared for the taste but me. I know there are recipes out there for them.

Something isn't right if your JAs aren't coming up yet. That's odd. Can I legally send tubers to you? I don't think you can't ship to me but I might be able to ship to you. Maybe I've got that mixed up and it's vice versa. If you want to check that out, I'm sure there will be more to dig up. If someone is going to eat them, I'd rather it be you rather than the critters around here.

webmaster
Site Admin

Charlie has the right idea. At THG, sticky threads generally are threads that address commonly asked questions. This helps keep the same question from being asked over and over again. Pretty useful, eh? ;)

Sticky threads do not represent the only answer to a question. For more information about sticky posts please [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45194]read here[/url]. Thanks. :)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thanks Webmaster I bet the moderator whose handle is a is fossil animal found in Cambrian fossil deposits could come up with a killer list if she has time. I read one of her posts about cornstalks being browns and husks being green and got to thinking how handy it would be to have the various greens and browns sorted out. and listed. I'll sign a hold harmless agreement if necessary. :)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Say Charlie, why don't you do the honors of starting a new thread and title it something we all could easily recognize and identify with such as "Compost Browns and Greens" or anything you think will jump out and scream "read me". I had to track down what I was adding ingredient by ingredient until I stumbled upon a site that spelled out for me that one was nitrogen and one was carbon and then lights started going off in my head.

You'll always be able to edit the very first post to keep the whole thread organized and updated as people add information. You would be the keeper of the list for everyone and you could start out the list with opabinia51's cornstalks and husks.

People will add comments for others to read and you can update as you see fit. It will be fun. I've got one thread I work on here from time to time that's a list.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I would be happy to start such a list if that's what management wants. Please realize I am not very qualified in knowledge and the first post would be very short. :lol: If the folks here would be so kind as to specify what's green and what's brown when they post ingredients, I think I can edit the original post and keep a list up.

Just be mindful that I'm a sailor come ashore and have taken over gardening in my in laws garden plot this year. I am mainly a human wheel barrow who likes to play in the dirt and see things grow.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Go for it Charlie. You can do it! Post a link to your new thread here so people can find it and post in it easier.

If management wants to make it a sticky, they will. If not they won't. Regardless, the information will be all together in one place if someone wants to tap into it which would be nice.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

!0-4, I'll do it this afternoon after my chores.

wolfie

TheLorax, so is paper napkins a brown or green? lol

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Paper napkins = brown. But they're small, so don't worry about them too much.

Just a drive-by response for the moment.

Cynthia H.

Return to “Composting Forum”