applestar
Mod

Compost Bin Idea

Problem 1: Ran out of finished compost -- need to get the current bin contents fast-cookin'
Problem 2: Neglected brush pile needs to be re-stacked to make room for a 2nd compost bin
Problem 3: Need to build/purchase 2nd compost bin

SOLUTION:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image1055.jpg[/img] :D

Unstacked front half of the brush pile. Shoveled out composted soil underneath and leveled subsoil. Stripped small branches from big branches. Layered small branches in the area designated with 4 re-bars in corners (about 42" square). Stacked/wove big and long branches to build the new compost bin.

Now I can empty the black plastic compost bin into the new bin and get that fast-cookin' The Black bin can be used for fresh material which the neighbors don't want to see :wink:

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

A wattle compost bin - down right brilliant!

All local materials for the most part, pretty much completely biodegradable, zero impact, no waste / landfill and self camouflaging.

When the wattling breaks down, throw it in the pile and re-wattle.

Thanks for solving a problem for me!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I like it!

Others have used straw bales, or I saw one once where someone grew a 3-sided box of giant sunflowers and the big stalks formed a fence. At the end of the season they wove some other sunflower stems or corn stalks horizontally to make a woven fence.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Very nice. I couldn't do that though despite having more than enough raw material. That's kindling.

If you have a Sam's Club nearby check their gardening stuff very early in the season. The past couple years they've have really good prices on their compost bins.

Although I have a little idea I might use this spring. Lattice panels could be set up on 3 sides using t-posts as corner bracing. They would have to be cut down to 3 or 4 feet long to make a manageable pile but they would hide the mess. Castor beans or sorghum could be grown on the 3 sides to further conceal the pile.

imafan26
Mod

Great solution, and it didn't cost anything but time!

applestar
Mod

Thanks for digging up this ol' idea which had been kind of buried and lost in the archives of the "composting forum" :() ...I guess it just needed to be aerated :>

Return to “Composting Forum”