damethod

Making Compost at Home

I would like to start making some compost. I am totally new to the process and have no idea where to begin. I have several questions for whomever can help.

1. Is a compost bin the best way to go? If so, how big of a bin should I get? (I have several trees, herbs, and veggies)

2. What can I put in the pile?

3. I own a juicer...so I've been collecting the pulp left over from fruits and veggies to use in the compost. Is this sound practice? If so, how do I go about drying them out?.. directly in the compost pile?

4. I've also been collecting coffee grounds. Is that also put into the compost pile..or directly into the dirt as is?

5. How long does it take to break down to where I can use it?

6. Is there a certain mix I should use for certain plants? (ex: more of X when making compost for veggies & herbs... more of Y for citrus, mango, or other tropical tree)

7. Last, but not least, How do I use it when ready? Do I turn it into the soil..or spread it over top like mulch?

Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to be so slow in responding, damethod. I can only say that we must all have been very busy in the garden this weekend!

I was looking around via Google for information on the relative speed of decomposition of various species of leaves and found this Absolutely Terrific!!! YES!!! website. Compost and composting have been near and dear to my heart for a very long time (20+ OMG :shock: years).

Please give it a good read and then ask away here at HG. Here is the Wonderful Site:

https://www.compostguide.com

Wow, is all I can say.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Composting Forum”