cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Screen Gauges for "Triple-Screened" Compost

Hi, all!

I've just read EVERY thread in the Organic Gardening forum about compost. Yes, I went back to all 4 pages of archives. No one has ever posted these 2 questions, soooo...

1) When compost is described as "triple-screened," does this mean that it has been screened through three progressively finer wire gauges? Or has it been screened through the same, relatively fine, wire gauge three times?

2) Can we please have a separate Compost/Vermicompost forum, like Permaculture has done? There are many basic questions that come up many times re. compost, and very few forum folks (whether here or on other, completely unrelated fora) are interested in digging through 4 pages of archives to see whether their question has previously been addressed. I think a separate Compost/Vermicompost forum would help people find the information they're looking for much more expeditiously.

So...1) screen sizes and 2) separate forum (hmmm, "screening" the topic, if you will :lol: )

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

doccat5
Green Thumb

Yes, the compost is normally put thru 2 separate screens getting progressively finer. Frankly, I'm to lazy to go to all that extra work, but there are those who want it extra pretty.

I agree, I'd like to see a spot for both composting and vermicomposting as I do both. New to the vermicomposting, but it's going very well. :)

bcomplx

Some local producers grade their compost based on screening size, with the more highly rated version screened to one-half inch.

I'd rather have their second best, which has some chunks in it, because they will be a more long lasting source of organic matter after they are mixed into the soil.

I do screen mine through a sifter I've made from half-inch mesh plastic fencing, mostly so I can take out the big sticks and things easily. But if I'm digging a big planting hole for something, I don't bother with screening.

Return to “Composting Forum”