lola_lola21
Newly Registered

Can you add too much composted cow manure?

I added 6 bags (1 cubic foot each) to my flower bed, and now I am wondering if I have too much.

I don't have anything planted, I was just enjoying my time digging up weedy vines and roots, digging the dirt, and adding the compost.

I am new to gardening, and haven't seen any information about how much compost is too much.

imagardener2

You didn't say how big your flower bed is, so there no way real way to tell if it's too much.

But since you don't have anything planted there you really don't have any worries. If someone does say it's too much just water it well for a few months and it'll be good to go.

Personally, when I mix up a batch of potting soil I use 2 parts store bought potting mix, 2 parts peat moss, enough lime to adjust the pH of the peat, 1 part composted manure and a heaping helping of fertilizer. So far I've never had a problem with any plant being hurt by it.

HTH!

aqh88
Cool Member

If it's well composted then nope. I use it with nothing. I got tired of trying to improve my extremely alkaline heavy clay soil and so I just dug it out to about 6-8" down and replaced it with bagged cow manure compost. All of these plots are nothing but manure compost:
[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/garden/SANY0168.jpg[/url]

[url]https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/guinea%20pigs/outdoor%20pen/[/url]

In total I have mints, thyme, fennel, chives, catnip, snapdragons, strawberries, and blueberries planted directly into cow manure compost from their pots that are doing well and have started from seed thyme, anise, cilantro, swiss chard, and nasturtiums in the compost without issues. Everything is popping up and growing well. It just has to be well composted.

Return to “Composting Forum”