Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Compost Machine.

Facebook targets me for garden advertisements today I received this AD for this compost roller spreader machine. Who will buy this for $249.00
Attachments
274746032_4997670996945293_1992123570182651475_n.jpg
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Right below that on the HG webpage is a plastic barrel composter ad, Gary :D .

My compost is never decomposed enough for the roller that you show. I use a 1/2" screen to sift out the compost when it is needed for perennial plants. The screen work can be kinda tough and I use a short piece of 2 by 4 board to scrape the material through the screen. It's pretty good stuff and what is leftover is generally only good enough for the garbage - wood chunks and some gravel.

This year, I may have enough compost for some parts of the garden beds at home. They received their usual buckets of "compostables" in the fall and that's the easiest way for us to dispose of kitchen scraps. This winter, I've almost not been able to deal with those buckets, which soon freeze outdoors. I did pry off the top, frozen layer in the piled compost to refill them but they were nearly full from 2021. That was on the few days when there was an unfrozen bucket that I could dump.

Imperfect compost makes a good mulch for the potato beds but using that technique these days would require hauling it out to the distant garden in the pickup, not willing to do that.

Steve

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Haha, I was thinking the internet is just the place to be advertising manure spreaders!

applestar
Mod

I would be more interested in the posted tool’s possible application as “crimping” tool for green manure cover crops. But I suspect the basket configuration would make it too light.

Even If those bars provide some kind of lift, doesn’t it looks like it would not drop much more than a very light sprinkle per pass? I’m guessing it’s meant for lawns, since it’s not likely to roll all that well over soft soil….

Yeah, I find tossing the compost by garden shovelfuls through wire and chicken wire fencing of various openings best and easiest.

For finest screening, I use an old cat litter sifting pan with approx 3/8~1/4” opening.

For individual container or just small amounts, I bought a perforated scoop — I think it was either a beach combing tool or maybe described as part of toolset for panning for gold? :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I can't think of any reason to have that compost spreader. If I had a wheel barrel of compost I would not waste it spreading it all over the whole garden. I would put compost where it is needed most, sweet bell peppers like soft soil so roots grow larger, plants get bigger, plants grow more peppers.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Lawns are a perfect use for this device, for people who want to improve lawn soil without tilling up the grass. In fact, my wife got me one for my birthday this spring. I went out and bought two yards of compost to spread on the lawn. It works great for that. Turned out the compost I bought still had a lot of small bits of wood (from yard waste) and I piled those up and used them for a nice looking mulch.

I'm thinking of making a stationary rack of some sort for it so I can use it to sift compost for other uses, but I don't need sifted compost very often.

Return to “Composting Forum”