TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

How to store stuff?

I've got small bags of potting mix, DE, and bone meal. They all say store in a cool, dry place. I can't keep all that stuff in the house, no where to put it. Is it going to cause damage to that stuff if I put it out in the storage building? It does get VERY hot in there: 100+ degrees. Is that going to hurt the dirt?

applestar
Mod

Organic potting mix and potting mix with added mycorrhizae contain live organisms that will be killed in the heat. Anywhere else with roof and out of sun?

DE can stay out - just keep dry, but humidity won’t hurt it.

Bone meal will attract rats, mice, etc. so keep in metal can with tight fitting lid - I use galvanized trash can in the shed. It’s best to use up each season — work any left into the raised bed soil in the fall, etc.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That's just great. I'll go back out and get the potting soil, a couple of it is organic. I guess I could put it under the carport, but it's so junky. My house needs to be blown up.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I went out and brought in my organic potting mix and the organic/all natural seed starter, leaving my orchid soil since it's not organic. But does that mean my organic garden soil is ruined now? It's been in the building for a month or more now. That's bad if organic dirt is too hard to store. I don't have all the places in the world to store soils, except my porches and they're junky right now to. Like I said, my house needs to be blown up. :lol:

imafan26
Mod

I have a lot of stuff too. I keep it in the garage. Small things like small bags of fertilizer I keep in buckets. I use buckets with rubber seals to keep them more air tight. Buckets can stack on each other. It helps to label buckets with what is inside but also keep a log of the inventory. I have so many bags of ironite it is not funny and I keep finding more. I put liquid pesticides in another bucket and fungicides in a different one. Irrigation parts are in more than one bucket and I have a box for bonsai wire. I still have too much stuff. I did take some of the ones I did not use and in original containers to the bimonthly hazardous waste collection the city sponsors. They will not take anything that is not in original containers and I have to find a use for those. My sister thinks I am the hazardous waste disposal and she drops off stuff at my house that I don't use and have to get rid of.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I always try to give away usable stuff, whether it's fertilizer, lime, herbicide or whatever, before taking it for disposal. It is hideously expensive for them to get rid of that stuff. If it's in original packaging and good enough to use, offer it free on Craigslist or put it out by the curb with a FREE sign on it.

So much stuff (not just gardening stuff but everything) goes into the landfill in the US because people won't even take a moment to give it to someone else.

imafan26
Mod

Some of the things I have are so old they are no longer on the market like isotox (actually it sort of is under another name) and diazinon. It is still around because I have not used these products in years either. I had to transfer the superthrive and physan to other bottles because the bottles were so brittle with age and the superthrive cap corroded. I have saved the physan since it is so very expensive, I need to have a really good reason to have to use it. Super thrive, I do use, but it cannot be used often. one drop in a gallon once a year to a healthy well fed and potted plant. It is also used to stimulate orchid nodes in a 1:11 part dilution.
It is mixed in an old medicine bottle (because it is a dark bottle) and applied with a cotton swab. It goes a long way. Growers use superthrive to force growth on plants to get them to market size sooner. If the plant does not have optimum media or food, using superthrive will force them to death.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Lol, guys I'm not planning on try to get RID of my soils I do plan to use it in the future. STORING it in the meantime is the problem. If I do wish to get of it, I'm sure I can give it away.

@Imafan, I could not store anything heavy such as those soils in buckets as I'm not a very strong person. I do good to lift buckets of rainwater. :roll: Also, thanks to cheap modern plastics, five gallon buckets aren't very strong anymore. Some of mine are cracking already. Also, you may want to explain to your sister that you cannot keep storing stuff she brings you. :wink:

applestar
Mod

Garden soil — It’s hard to say if as biologically active as fresh — I guess “stale” would be the analogy. But possibly no worse than if you bought them now from badly stored at garden center. Do you remember AACT? Actively aerated compost tea. You could make some and inoculate to give your garden soil a boost.

In the future, buy and use right away, or possibly keep in shady spot in the garden loosely covered with tarp, etc. to keep rain off. You may have trouble with ants moving in though. I end up with tiny black ants in all my bagged stuff — sand, mulch, potting mix, even gravel... unless I put in shed or garage. But they are manageable and will leave when exposed to sun. I dump out on tarp.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"In the future, buy and use right away." That was going to be my thought. Even now I think the best place to "store" stuff like that is on your garden. It will never be more active/ useful than it is right now. You know they say if you are stranded in the desert with limited water, the best thing to do is just drink it; the best place to "store" your water is in your body, where it can help you (https://www.offgridweb.com/preparation/ ... he-desert/). Same applies here.

I have to admit I have some bags of potting soil and topsoil sitting around right now. But that's because as soon as the weather breaks, I am going to redo all the big tree pots. I won't store it any longer than that.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The reason I'm storing for the future is because soils are so expensive, I search for stuff on sale. Then I can use it for planting greenhouse stuff next spring. I use a ton of potting soil come greenhouse time. I've spent so much money of dirt over the years I probably could've bought a nice big swimming pool by now. I am trying to work on a compost pile. I've been tossing dead plants in a spot in my yard.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Be sure you read the composting 101 and composting basics threads at the top of the Composting Forum viewforum.php?f=35

Piling up dead plants by itself does NOT make a compost pile. You are just as likely to get a slimy mess.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I intend to add more stuff, don't worry. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, but just like storing your organics, you can't "store" your dead plants until you are ready to add "other stuff." They need to be mixed with "browns" (hard, dry, carbon rich stuff like straw, shredded paper, fall leaves) now, while they are starting to decompose.

Return to “Composting Forum”