Grandma99
Cool Member

Worm compost still valuable?

I inherited a Worm Factory which had been very productive but then was let sit unattended for two years. The worms have died. It has not had any moisture during those two years (maybe 3 years). Has all the bacteria and microbes died off or is it still valuable to use as 'worm compost'?

I plan to purchase red wigglers and start it up since I now have a place to grow veggies and a container garden.

applestar
Mod

It won’t be as biologically active as fresh vermicompost, and I would not consider 2 yr old dried out product the same, but I believe it will provide some benefits and could be used to supplement potting mix or scratch in around existing plants, or add to regular compost pile.

Wash/scrub the Worm Factory well after emptying, and rinse thoroughly and dry — maybe expose to sunshine or wipe down with hydrogen peroxide and allow to dry — before setting it up with fresh moistened bedding and new worms.

Grandma99
Cool Member

Thank you so much! BTW, I like your saying. Another one I like is, "Experience is a tough teacher. First it gives you the test and THEN gives you the lesson." Happy experiences to you! I'll be going through many tests; I know nothing about gardening but I am not afraid to study and learn! :-) This site is wonderful!

Return to “Composting Forum”