Ben Garrison
Newly Registered

I have a question

I have a question regarding the nutrition feeding of a plant, it may seem stupid to some but I couln't find any information about it on the internet so I decided to ask people who deal with this kind of stuff day to day and might know.
There is a plant that grows in SIberia called "Leuzea" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaponticum_carthamoides whose roots when consumed increase testosterone and have anabolic effects. I was wondering if using Leuzea tea to water my plant would stimulate its growth or kill it?
Thanks in advance and sorry if you find the question stupid.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

The chemical compounds in Maral Root and its leaves according to studies include: Several different classes of compounds were previously isolated from various parts of R. carthamoides of which the main groups are steroids, particularly ecdysteroids, and phenolics (flavonoids and phenolic acids) accompanied with polyacetylenes, sesquiterpene lactones, triterpenoid glycosides and terpenes (essential oil).

In human physiology this has beneficial effects. In studies done on plants, mainly potatoes, these compounds had little effect on growth patterns but did act as a growth regulator on fungi especially powdery mildew.

My take on watering plants with maral root tea is that it would do no harm but not much good, so why waste it on plants when you could reduce stress, increase stamina and virility if you drink it yourself.

Interesting herb I have never heard of before this. Thanks.

Ben Garrison
Newly Registered

>but did act as a growth regulator on fungi especially powdery mildew
Is that good?
>so why waste it on plants when you could reduce stress
I make tea out of the root but when I'm done there is still the root left and it still hase some secondary juices which are obviouslty more diluted and I thought it would be good use of resources. I was also quite excited by the idea of increasing a plant's potency and its size as well as growing it quicker.

applestar
Mod

Well powdery mildew is a plant disease, so no.

I think plant physiology and hormonal metabolism are quite a bit different from those of human or any animal for that matter, so it’s not surprising that this stuff won’t help plants. There ARE things that stimulate plant growth and health, however. Willow bark and leaf tips and chamomile are examples.

Anything like the leftover from your tea — I would put them in the vermicomposter for the worms if not harmful to them, and if not sure, add to the compost pile. Worms are my suburban level of livestock, but I suppose folks who have animal and poultry livestock could consider giving this to them. I wonder if it would have any benefits for pigs?

Return to “Composting Forum”