garkoi
Newly Registered

powdering peels, eggshells and so on

hi, I tried searching all over and couldn't find an answer, so I hope here is the place to ask, I'm in kuwait and I grow indoors, I have alot of banana peels, tea bags, coffee grounds and eggshells on hand at all times and I throw them out, I did dry some in an oven and powder the eggshells with a coffee grinder, I have about a pound of eggshell powder, I grow micro toms indoors and recently started a sugar baby tomato and a few peppers (jalapeno, chocolate reaper, scotch bonnet), so my question is if I have 50 quarts of soil (a mixture of new and used, fox farm salamander, happy frog and coco loco) sitting in a plastic bin,
can I add the eggshell, banana peel, coffee/tea powder to it ?
how long do I have to wait before using it (sitting inside around 70-75, or outside around 104-120 if not hotter) ?
can I add too much of anything ?
will it smell ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, if all that stuff is dried and powdered you can use it and you don't have to wait. It should have no smell. Probably your powdered stuff doesn't want to be more than roughly a tenth of the finished soil volume.

garkoi
Newly Registered

thank you.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Keep in mind eggshells will increase calcium and pH rapidly, so don't add too much of those.

Return to “Composting Forum”