beachbum757

Compost & Topsoil

I purchased compost from our local garden center and planted my tomato seedlings in the compost soil alone.
I turned my soil in my vegetable garden and added the approximate 8-10 inches of compost over top of that in new raised bed frames.
Do I need to add topsoil or sand, etc. to the soil, or is it okay as is?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the forum. You don't need to add anything else per se. Though, if you have a clay based soil, sand can help a bit. But, the rule of thumb for gardening is "always add organic matter."

Now, you don't actually have to spend a bunch money doing this. In the fall you can add leaves and manure in layers ontop of your garden and all winter and spring long the worms will compost the materials for you resulting in a lovely, rich humusy soil.

Now about the "per se" part of my response. You can use organic fertilizers like kelp meal, blood meal and their are others (leaf mold, composted manure....).

The two meals can be added to the holes before the plants go in and/or just around the plants.

Leaf mold can be used as a mulch in your garden to keep the soil cool in the summer and warm in the winter and will add nutrients to the soil and composted manure can be spread around your plants. I like to add it with mulched leaves but, whatever suits your fancy.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Comments?

beachbum757

:D Thanks, I was concerned it might be too rich alone. I kept hearing of people adding topsoil or sand to their compost. I read the tip about the eggshells. I will definitely use that! I have an abundance of leaves and pine needles as well as hay leftover from my bunny. I just started a new compost pile and have a sort of natural composting area, near my break wall out back. It tends to erode due to the tidal water so I rake a lot of straw, leaves and grass clippings there as well.
After the soil warms a little, I will begin fertilizing and then mulch.
While I am not a novice at gardening, I am not, by far an expert. I always enjoy learning new tips!

Return to “Composting Forum”