rosiegirl
Cool Member

Is my compost done??

Hi all!

It's finally spring here in New York. I started my first year of composting last spring, using a double-sided compost tumbler since that is what suited my space needs to start. By the time it got too cool for the scraps to break down, my tumbler was filled. So, over the winter, with your helpful suggestions, I got a wire bin, sewed a cover and brought my scraps out there. I did a layer of dried leaves and then put kitchen scraps on top, always covering with more dried leaves.

Now it's spring and I'm ready to use my tumbler again. So I have 2 questions.

1. I emptied the "finished" side of the tumbler today and I wasn't sure if it was "done". It still has clumps that I tried to break up and some leave materials, but lots of worms. I didn't know if it was done enough for me to work it into my garden and put aroun my fruit trees. I've attached pictures of it, if that helps.

2. What do I do with the wire bin compost? Just leave it in layers and wait? I think it might be too dry now so as soon as I can get to my watering can, I'll wet it down. Picture attached of that as well.
Attachments
IMG_5179 (1).JPG
IMG_5179 (1).JPG (40.14 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
IMG_5178 (1).JPG
IMG_5178 (1).JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
IMG_5177 (1).JPG
IMG_5177 (1).JPG (38.48 KiB) Viewed 11423 times
IMG_5176 (1).JPG
IMG_5176 (1).JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 11423 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Done enough -- I would push it through some kind of wire grid, with large openings (not like screen), just to break up the clumps and sift the sticks out.

The wire bin composter looks like the kind I have that comes apart when you pull the corner stakes out? I would take it apart and move it to a new spot (right next door to where it is now is fine). Then throw all the stuff that is in it now into it in the new location, starting from the top, so what is on top now, becomes the bottom of the new pile. Keep working your way down, so you are essentially turning your pile upside down. That loosens it up, fluffs it up, mixes it some. And you may well find finished compost at the bottom of the pile. The stuff in the new pile will compost down quicker for having been aerated. It will be easier to toss, if you wait to wet it down until after you move it.

rosiegirl
Cool Member

Thanks rainbowgardener!

I don't have a wire grid but I'm sure I can get one. I just push through like I'm would do while cooking and using a strainer?

How do you suggest turning everything over? Shovel? Sorry, I'm still so new at this!

I had put a layer of wettish leaves (that I had used as mulch on my raised garden to protect the soil over the winter) on the top. Do those still become the bottom?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

1) If I'm right that your wire grid compost bin comes apart, I just use two of those panels on top of each other and at right angles, to be a very rough sieve. And yes, just push it through like a sieve.

2) Yes, shovel works fine.

3) Sure. Basic idea is the most recently added stuff will now be on the bottom. And everything gets fluffed and mixed a bit. It's not rocket science. That's just what I do, but some people would do more mixing. You could even throw it in a wheel barrow and stir it around a bit and then dump in the new spot. I just do the least work method I can find! :)

rosiegirl
Cool Member

Thanks for answering all my stupid questions!

What a great idea to use the sides of the compost bin as a sieve!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So congratulations on having your first batch of finished compost!! :)

It will get more and better as you have more practice and keep thinking of more things you could be putting in your compost pile...

When I worked an office job, they made coffee every day, sometimes twice. I brought in a little bucket with lid and got people to dump the coffee grounds and filters into the bucket. On Fridays I would take it home and on Mondays bring a clean bucket back. Otherwise Starbucks kind of places often give away their used coffee grounds if you just show up with a container and ask....

estorms

I take the sides off my finished compost and run through it with a tiller; it breaks up nicely.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Also chopping it with a sharp shovel in a wheelbarrow does a good job too.

Return to “Composting Forum”