KTMay

Throwing an apple core into a plant bed

Will this help or hinder my plants?

I did some ritual-type thing with an apple, and I felt that I should place the core into my plant as a close-type thing..

Question is, when this rots, will it offer any benefits? Could it have neutral effects? Or will it rot my plant?
:/
-thanks for your kind feedback:)

applestar
Mod

Interesting question. I'm so curious exactly what you did and with what benediction in mind. I think there are many very interesting customs and practices. Some have underlying practical effect, some are purely spiritual.

Realistically and factually though, I suppose if the apple core was simply tossed onto the surface, it might be discovered by some wildlife. In my garden, I imagine squirrels or chipmunks will get first dibs, though in somewhat wilder garden, deer, groundHOG, and maybe skunk and turtles or even fruit rats may be other possible receivers. Some fruit loving bird may find the opportunity.

If not animals, insects like ants, bees, wasps, flies and butterflies may find the offering while fresh and fermenting/rotting, while soil detrivores like slugs, pillbugs, sowbugs, earwigs, and earthworms/nightcrawlers may find it delectable as well.

I really don't think anything of the apple core will be left to harm the plants in your garden directly unless the core landed on top of a seed or seedling and damaged or smothered it. If any harm, I suppose the attracted animals or insects may potentially cause damage, but just as likely could assist as a predator and maybe a little fertilizer.

If any of the apple seeds survive and are buried, they may sprout next spring. Whether you would consider this harmful -- a.k.a. weed -- or beneficial is up to you. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Alternatively, if you planted your apple core in the soil near your plant, then it will just break down and be nutrients for the plant. But then if the apple seeds sprout, they will need to be pulled/ moved right away, because they will take too much away from your plant.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'm a bit more casual about apple cores, peels, toast crusts etc. If outside, toss out on grass, garden or if bigger into the bushes, hedge or compost pile. The kids, and g-son brought up on this mantra and just do it at my house. There are plenty of birds, 6 & 8 legged things, worms and more taking advantage of our throw-aways.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I do it quite often. You gotta watch when you're doing roadside composting though - the cops are likely to consider it littering. :cool:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I do buy antonovka apple seed and so also use the seed of apples I eat for seedlings as rootstock to graft standard apples out of.

Are you growing apples or the original tenants in your pots?

I will endorse either activity.

applestar
Mod

toxcrusadr wrote:I do it quite often. You gotta watch when you're doing roadside composting though - the cops are likely to consider it littering. :cool:
LOLOL -- When I used to commute to work -- 60 to 75 minutes drive each way, I never had time for proper breakfast in the morning and needed sustenance to make the evening drive home while enduring traffic. So I used to eat fruits and toss the core, stone, even banana peel, out of the passenger side window into the roadside wooded and wild areas. :P

I was always conscious of the danger presented to wildlife if I threw them too short and close to the pavement, and I got pretty good at the required sideways fling to arc them into the shrubbery. Once or twice, I COMPLETELY missed and ended up with splattered fruit debris on the inside of the door and the passenger seat.... worst instance was a very ripe pear core :roll:

...and YES I always looked around for radar traps before throwing. Fortunately, I was never spotted or at least stopped for littering. :wink:

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I've done all that including missing the window! You have to find the wooded and uninhabited areas, it's no good throwing stuff in yards even out in the country. I never want other drivers close enough to see either, they might get the wrong idea. I've picked up far more than my share of other peoples' litter and the last thing I want is someone thinking I'm littering. In the winter, my commute home is dark so the left lane on the divided highway works too - I can use the driver's window and not have to worry about missing. :-D BTW, pro tip: banana peels fly farther if you roll them up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Will this help or hinder my plants?"

Likely one apple core is not enough to matter one way or the other.

Poke it under the soil. As it decomposes, it will become food for the plants.

Return to “Composting Forum”