robyn514

Is there a distinction between sheet compost and compost? Just curious.....

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, generally speaking compost is done in a pile or in a box of some sort.

Sheet compost is just a different way of composting. Instead of layering everything in a box like conventional composting or layering everything in a trench like trench composting; you simply layer your compostables right on top of your beds and leave it be.

And with trench and sheet composting, you don't turn the compost either.

When I layer my sheet composts I generally do this:

1) I plant a layer of Rye and clover and allow it to grow up and mow it down, turning the roots into the soil

2) I cover this with a layer of unmulched maple leaves to provide a barrier to weeds.

3) I cover this with compost manure that I have collected over the summer and spring.

4) I cover this with a layer of mixed leaves (mulched maple, apple, Linden tree, hazelnut, Oak (if I don't want to grow any grasses) and so on.)

5) I cover this layer with composted used coffee grounds that I collect fromm a local organic coffee shop over the summer.

6) I cover this layer with a layer of apple leaves

7) I cover this layer with a layer of horse manure

8) I cover this layer with a layer of mulched maple leaves

9) Finally I cover the entire thing with a layer of chicken manure that I buy from a local chicken farm

Now, you don't need to get as into the process as I do. You can just do a layer of leaves followed by a layer of grass clippings, then a layer of leaves and then manure.

One thing that you will notice when using this technique is that your plants will grow that much better, your surrounding lawn will be greener and more robust and your soil with either become less claylike or less sandy.

Also, you will have a lot more worms in your soil which will aerate your soil and some species will pull nutrients deep into the substratum.

robyn514

You must have a beautiful garden! I would love to see pictures one of these days.
Thanks for the explanation. I may try the simpler way you suggested and see how it goes.
Robyn

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It's really quite spectacular when all in bloom what with all the flowers and fruits as well as vegetables. But, the real wonder is the soil which is just teaming with life.

And I have very little insect herbivory because of al the diversity in my garden.

Return to “Composting Forum”