jul1799

Aerated Compost Tea questions

Good day,

I have spent some time learning about aerated tea and still have some funny questions. Would really appreciate answers:

* Where one usually would make it?
Garage could be too hot in summer, outside -I am not sure I want to use electric cord in case of rain . Your experience?

* Outside temperature and time preparation.
I guess when it is very hot outside it takes less time to prepare it then when it is colder days. Is there any rule of thumb to determine when it is ready?

* What proportion to dilute it to water plants?

* I have read that people add bunch of stuff along with compost and molasses (food scraps, grass). In recipe I found potato peels were cooked. Is there any rules about using scraps like potato peels, coffee grinds, egg shells? I do not have possibility to compost , but I can add some scraps into bucket. In case of grass should I dry it first?

* would it work if I add some scraps into soil between plants and water with compost tea? Not dump on top of course, but place inside, covering with soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In the past I have made some in my basement which worked fine (just be sure to get it outside and use it right away, once you unplug). Currently I am making it outside, under my roof eaves to protect the pump against rain. I think it would have to be VERY hot to be "too hot" for it.

It is ready after a couple of days (+ or -) when it has started foaming.

Personally, I think the kitchen scraps kind of stuff, potato peels, egg shells, etc. belong in the compost pile, not in the bucket for compost tea. The egg shells and a lot of the other stuff, will not break down in the time you are brewing tea, so will add nothing. The same is true for grass. The things that people add to brew compost tea are things that will feed the microbe colony you are culturing. Along with the molasses, that includes kelp meal, fish emulsion, alfalfa meal or crushed alfalfa pellets, earthworm castings. Note that all of these are high nutrient and very fine textured for fast break down.

Everything else goes in your compost pile. If you don't have a compost pile, you can get a worm bin and feed them to the worms. And yes, you can bury kitchen scraps right in the garden: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... ps#p381173

jul1799

thank you very much for your input. I got some vermicompost and molasses (usually I use it for bread. Everything else is tricky to find, but eventually I get it.

Lady in the store suggested chicken manure. I guess it would be quite good addition in small quantities. If Walmart would be true to its word I can place first batch tomorrow.

Thanks agan

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I make a very basic compost tea with just de-chlorinated water, compost, unsulphured molasses. I get good results with it.

jul1799

thank you. I am very excited with whole idea of compost tea. I really appreciate you telling me about it.

Return to “Composting Forum”