drainey0

got some liquid gold brewing right now

had some really hard rain last few days in North Carolina so I collected a lot of rain water in a 5 gallon bucket that I had put under one of my potted plants so pretty much the potted plant has been draining into a 5 gallon bucket for past few days added a lil bit of compost and molasses and I'm letting it aerate for another day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just used up my latest batch of it today and put a new bucket of water out to de-chlorinate itself. I have been brewing new compost tea on a three day cycle (one day to dechlorinate, two days to brew) pretty continuously this season. I didn't do so much of it in the past, but I'm here gardening new ground that has never been gardened before. My raised beds are full of composted manure, and premium planting mix with mushroom compost, leaf compost, etc. But it has to break down to be available. My theory is that the compost tea really helps in that process, because a couple days after each "dose" of it, things perk up visibly!

drainey0

I love and hate hard rains..... love them cause plants really seem to thrive after a good hard rain and and its free water....... I hate them cause if it's to hard the plant just snaps in half from all the water and wind............ had a cucumber plant snap at the base today it was flowering and everything and pooof gone.

also was wondering I didn't add kelp extract to my tea will that be bad? added the molasses but not the kelp.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never used kelp. Mine is very basic: de-chlorinated water, big scoop of compost, quarter of a cup-ish of unsulphured blackstrap molasses, and aerate for about 48 hrs.

drainey0

ok cool

drainey0

Hey was wondering I am using a https://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Commerc ... B00I84NKA2 ...... I have two 4" stones in a 5 gallon bucket and one 4" disc that doesnt do much also in the bucket. Is this to much air getting to my compost tea or is more air better?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I expect more air is better.

It's a very heavy duty unit. I just have a little airstone and pump for an aquarium, about like this:

applestar
Mod

drainey0 wrote:Hey was wondering I am using a https://www.amazon.com/Elemental-Commerc ... B00I84NKA2 ...... I have two 4" stones in a 5 gallon bucket and one 4" disc that doesnt do much also in the bucket. Is this to much air getting to my compost tea or is more air better?
Are you using it for maybe three 5 gal buckets? Or just one? It looks like it has a gang connector for SIX tubes.

I vaguely remember there IS a point when too much force or movement can be harmful for the delicate microbial comfort.

What does it look like when aerating -- could you post a picture ?

drainey0

It made quite the messs from last night foamed over this morning now I'm getting lots of foam all the time added more molasses this morning ............here are pics................... thought it was odd that over night it just started making lots of foam cause befor I went to bed it didn't have too much foam.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by drainey0 on Sun May 22, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drainey0

Excuse the pizza box trying to catch all the spray and the huge mess this is my first batch didn't know what to expect

drainey0

starting to worry that there is to much foam now........... I'm readying that if there is to much your tea become anarobic cuase the gases produced cant escape the foam.

drainey0

any body?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Still hard to tell what the flow rate is because of the foam. I don't think it would go anaerobic as long as air is going into the water.

Return to “Composting Forum”