GrowerC86

My compost tea stinks. Should I use it?

I learned about compost tea a few days ago. We have a compost bin in the yard that we have been putting egg shells, coffee grinds, fruit and vegetable peels in for years. I went out to it and dug to the bottom with a shovel and noticed the dark black soil looking compost and it looked like all the stuff in the videos I watched so I dug out a few scoops, put it in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with water. I watered my tomato plants with it afterwards. I set the bucket in my small greenhouse and yesterday when I went out to water them again with it I noticed a foul smell in my greenhouse. I knew right away it was coming from the compost tea. I set the bucket out and wasn't sure if I should water my plants with it anymore. I also noticed that it left an about half inch of thick black film in my containers. I guess this is because I didn't filter it but didn't realize it would be that bad.

Is compost tea supposed to have an odor? The bottom of my compost bin has been sitting there for years. Should I use fresher compost or does it matter?

applestar
Mod

Compost is full of live organisms, and the good kind needs oxygen. Some of them can't survive in water and they do drown, but others will live and actually multiply. But unless you use an aquarium or pond air pump and air stone to maintain oxygen levels in the water, the good kind die off and only the anaerobic, stinky kind remain. You are also more likely to kill the microbes if you use chlorinated water.

That's why you want to use un aerated compost tea within hours for best results. The black film is what is called bio-film/slime and this is normal. It's a substance generated by the bacteria.

I would just dump this back on top of the compost pile. They will be re-integrated into the compost. Rinse out the bucket for next use. Some people use boiling water, purists clean with hydrogen peroxide.

GrowerC86

applestar wrote:Compost is full of live organisms, and the good kind needs oxygen. Some of them can't survive in water and they do drown, but others will live and actually multiply. But unless you use an aquarium or pond air pump and air stone to maintain oxygen levels in the water, the good kind die off and only the anaerobic, stinky kind remain. You are also more likely to kill the microbes if you use chlorinated water.

That's why you want to use un aerated compost tea within hours for best results. The black film is what is called bio-film/slime and this is normal. It's a substance generated by the bacteria.

I would just dump this back on top of the compost pile. They will be re-integrated into the compost. Rinse out the bucket for next use. Some people use boiling water, purists clean with hydrogen peroxide.
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. I didn't notice the smell at first. 2 days later however of the bucket sitting and I noticed the smell. So if I don't have a hose to pump air in it to keep it oxygenated then basically I need to use it right after adding the water and make fresh batches everyday right?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right! Before I started making brewed (aerated) compost tea, I used to just make what I called compost infusion. Just put a scoop of compost and some molasses in a bucket and stir well. I used rain water from my rain barrels (no chlorine). Put the bucket in the shade and let it sit for just a couple hours, stirring frequently, then use on the garden immediately. It gives the microbial colony a bit of a head start and makes your compost go a lot farther.

Not as good as aerated compost tea, but not bad. But your anaerobic stinky stuff, I would not put on your garden now. Throw it back on the compost pile to get straightened out. You can tell when you have the right bacteria going -- it not only doesn't stink, it has a mild but pleasant aroma, somewhere between earthy and yeasty.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I don't think sterilizing the bucket is necessary, IMHO. If you just rinse it, the amount of bacteria left on the walls will be tiny compared to the load coming in with the next batch of compost. It's not like they are going to take over - they're the same ones from the original compost, although perhaps in a different population ratio, but still, the total number is small.

Chlorinated water has single digit ppm levels of available chlorine which would be instantly used up reacting with organic matter. Not that it wouldn't kill some microbes before it was used up.

OTOH I don't do compost tea much so I know nothing. :)

Return to “Composting Forum”