cass2828

My compost bin

Hi, I have started a compost bin in a wooden box thingy... I have layed a layer of Coco peat for the carbon.... and I have layed a layed of green waste for the nitrogen... Again I topped it all up with a layer of Coco peat.. I am planning to do this again and again and turning it periodicaly... I could use some advice...

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've not used coco peat in a compost bin. It costs too much for that. I have used leaves which works well. If you add some native soil (not a whole lot, a few handfuls per layer) it will help the compost break down. Your native soil contains organisms which help break down organic material.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Picture would help. I don't know what you mean by "wooden box thingy." Does it have plenty of ventilation? Composting is an aerobic process, meaning it needs oxygen. Wood compost bins are usually made of slats, with space between:

I agree, the coco peat isn't a very good additive in your pile. It is water repellent when dry, so doesn't break down easily. It doesn't have much nutrients, so when it does break down, it doesn't add much to your compost.

Check out our compost forum here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35 The first three threads are well worth reading to get started. The first one has an extensive list of greens and browns for your compost pile.

I use a lot of fall leaves for my browns, but when I run out of those, I use shredded paper and often I just buy a bale of straw and feed it in a little at a time as I add greens. Compost everything!! Garden trimmings, pulled weeds, kitchen scraps, etc.

cass2828

IMG_20160324_233011288.jpg
Thnx for your reply... I have only added 2 layers of cocopeat others I used dead plants.....

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That looks very good. You can speed up the compost action with wood ash. Wood ash contains lye and lime. Lye helps to break down the organic material. Lime is very good for to prevent blossom end rot on, tomatoes, squash, melons, bell peppers and it is good of other plants too. Urine contains turns to ammonia then nitrogen and contains lime too this is excellent fertilizer, don't flush your best fertilizer down the toilet. Keep your compost bend in full sun, paint it black so it gets hot, too much air lowers the temperature, wrap it in black plastic to make it get hot in the sun.

Watch the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRAaAkfirRU

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, Gary has a very different take on composting than most of us. Personally I wouldn't wrap it in plastic, which cuts down the air circulation. And wood ash will make your compost very alkaline. If you have soil that is very acidic and needs "liming" that's ok. If your soil is already neutral to alkaline, you want to be very careful about adding wood ash, use it only in very small quantities. Most veggies and a number of ornamentals prefer soil that is a bit acidic. (e.g. pH 6.5 ish)

cass2828

Thnx... For your advice guys...

Return to “Composting Forum”