redhothawain
Newly Registered

Should I use smelly vermicompost in my garden?

I've been vermicomposting for a few months now, and I want to use some for a new raised bed I'm starting. However, now that I've removed some of the material/castings from my vermicompost bin, I'm realizing that it has a sour stench. I'm worried anaerobic bacteria have taken over, which I've read produce alcohols that plants don't like. Is this still good material for enriching my soil? Should I add it to my bed?

Thanks for any answers or references you can provide

applestar
Mod

Describe your vermicomposting set up. It sounds as if it might have insufficient drainage and ventilation? Are the worms OK? Where are you located? My little bin of worms must know it's spring here, or at least enjoying the warmer temps in the garage because they have bern making lots and lots of babies 8)

It's probably best let the sour castings air out by spreading and stirring for a few days at least, before putting it in the raised bed.

redhothawain
Newly Registered

Thanks, applestar

I've got about as simple a setup as possible - plastic bucket in a bucket with holes for drainage and a cover with holes (no condensation). I'm in a warm, humid environment, around 80F during the day (worms are in the house, though, no climate control), and the bin is rather wet; some areas are mud/wet dirt consistency.

The worms seem to be doing great, though - they're multiplying and are a nice color and size.

I'll try what you said and maybe make some tea to test the pH before spreading.

Let me know if I can give you any more information that would help you help me. I'm pretty new to gardening and vermicomposting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That seems like it should be ok, though I would think about putting some holes in the sides too, above the level of the materials inside.

But what is it sitting on? Is it flat on the floor? It needs to have a tray under it and then be elevated a little bit above the tray to allow for drainage.

The bottom holes don't do much good if it is sitting flat on something.

imafan26
Mod

Vermi compost should not smell bad. Maybe too much water and not enough drainage and it probably does not dry fast indoors. Be careful not to overfeed the worms, that usually is the reason it has a strong ammonia smell. You can freeze veggies and fruit if you have too much and give it to the worms later. Frozen is good because it bursts the cells and it breaks down faster.

Return to “Composting Forum”