GreenGirl85
Newly Registered

More about red wigglers and soil

I just read Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels & Wayne Lewis. It has a ton of great information about worms and how they process your food. Did you guys know that because worms don't have teeth there are actually little microbes (bacteria, fungi, etc.) inside the worms that break down the food before they digest it! I thought that was really interesting.

The book has a ton of information on compost tea and other tips on how to make the best soil!

You guys should check it out!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the information GreenGirl, I'm sure you'll have a lot to add so that we can learn from you!

Red wrigglers area great companion in the garden, and adding compostables like leaves, manure, grass, weeds and so on to the soil, will attract Red Wrigglers to the garden but, also provide habitat for a myriad of other beneficial soil organisms.

pixelphoto

worms are also one of the few creatures that can eat and kill the ecoli bacteria.
They have a crop much like a chicken with grit in it that breaks down and kills the ecoli bacteria. this is good as worm poop is ecoli free.

Return to “Composting Forum”