redneck647

Compost animal remains.

Ok I know by this point everyone probably just shakes there heads when I post a question. Lol
Besides gardening I also hunt and fish for food. And well I don't know how much longer I’ll have access to the land I’ve been disposing of the left over parts on so I'm looking for a new method. I started wondering if I could use them to help feed the garden.
This would consist of the inedible parts of wild game and fish as well as a few whole groundhogs and maybe a coyote from time to time.
Is there a cheapish and simple way to compost animal parts? I'm thinking worm composting might work but I’d have to keep it outside which would probably kill the worms over winter. Also I'm not sure how big of a set up I'd need.
Not sure if its worth going in that direction and might be over my head at this point but I figure it can't hurt to ask. Does anyone have any suggestions?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Meat proteins, hide, fats, composted best for me when first anoxicly composted. makes a stinky sludge, that later goes into the center of a hot compost.

I started doing this when a neighbors great dane just could not pass by my compost bin and could not hold his lunch.

I got tired of cleaning up after him with a snow shovel.

Put the offal in a closed barrel with a tight lid. It will go to juice in 4 to 6 weeks.

applestar
Mod

If all you need is for them to be digested, BSF "composting" might be an option, but you may need to overwinter a livestock supply somehow each year....

Subject: Black Soldier Larvae
applestar wrote:If you do have BSF larvae, they are considered beneficial:
Thirdly, the larva's eating style discourages the development of pest flies. As large populations of black soldier fly larvae churn manure, they make it more liquid and less suitable for, not only egg-laying (oviposition) by the pest fly, but the actual development of the pest fly's larvae, thus reducing them substantially.
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galv ... er_fly.htm

In any case, my understanding is that they won't survive freezing temps of northern winter months.
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galv ... er_fly.htm
First off, manure management reduces environmental damage that can result from large accumulations of manure. Black soldier fly larvae are scavengers and thrive on many kinds of decomposing organic matter, including algae, carrion, compost heaps, manure, mold, plant refuse, and the waste products of beehives.
They have large and powerful chewing mouthparts allowing them to shred and devour waste. These gluttonous little creatures are able to digest organic compound before the compounds have time to decompose, thereby immediately eliminating odor. The black soldier fly larva's digestive system leaves behind a fraction of the original weight and volume of waste.

redneck647

Thank you both.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Depending upon the scale, it may be feasible to bury animal remains in the center of a hot compost pile. Our state Transportation Dept. has successfully composted road kill (deer, etc.) on a large scale by burying in a mountain of sawdust. The surrounding organic matter absorbs the noxious gases coming off the animal remains.

Or, you can just bury it in the soil, and the soil microbes and worms will take care of it for you.

redneck647

That's what I've been thinking of trying lately now to be honest.
At least for fish and meaty kitchen wast. I'm considering digging a hole and burying a piece of pipe with holes in it. then I can toss meat scraps in followed by some saw dust from the shop. I can lay a piece of wood over the top to keep things out until its full and then start a second one.
Not sure how long I'd have to leave it there but after so long I can pull the pipe out and dump the contents in the actual compost pile.
Don't know for sure if it would work but that's my idea so far.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Bokashi might be a suitable composting method for your demands, supposed to do well with quite thick bone parts even.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I agree with toxcrusadr. Just bury them in some soil and let nature take care of it. But make sure to bury it deep down...you don't want it dug up by some animals :x

Mr green
Green Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:I agree with toxcrusadr. Just bury them in some soil and let nature take care of it. But make sure to bury it deep down...you don't want it dug up by some animals :x
This is the traditional method I guess, but man people eat meat like 5-7 days a week, thats alot of digging in a year, you need to put it atleast 0,5m deep. Thats a reason to go vegan right there! :-() :-()

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I guess we don't eat a whole lot of meat at my house, there certainly isn't much waste. Anything that can be boiled into stock - bones, chicken skin, etc. - gets used for that, at which point it doesn't have much appeal to critters. Chunks of fat, I render down and pour the liquid fat into a jar to use for suet blocks for the birds. All the residues go into the compost but I have a sealed plastic bin and not a lot of dogs and such, so it's never bothered by critters.

All depends on your situation I guess.

Nyan

Years ago on the farm, I was raising quite a few hogs in a farrowing house that had concrete floors. Luckily, I had an unlimited supply of sawdust for bedding. The sawdust and animal waste mixture that I composted would get very hot and I would put any stillborn piggies right in the middle. Within about two weeks they were impossible to find.
Of course, the pile was about 6 feet high and 20 feet long, so it generated a LOT of heat ( I could turn it in -10 degree weather with my t-shirt on, and sweat to death...

Grew some great crops with that compost...

redneck647

Thanks. I'll look into Bokashi.
Alot of it would be left overs from butchering instead of just kitchen scraps so burying it wouldn't be an everyday thing.

Return to “Composting Forum”